An Understanding Approach to Transgender Health Treatments & Services
Specialists at University Hospitals offer transgender and gender-nonconforming people safe and effective options to achieve comfort with their gender choices. We offer comprehensive transgender health services and support in a safe, welcoming environment, including:
- Behavioral health: For eligibility and readiness assessments, our team will provide a complete psychological evaluation and follow-up.
- Gynecology: To determine general gynecologic health and treat any gynecologic issues, our gynecologists can provide routine primary care for transgender patients. In addition, our team can direct hormone manipulation and determine the need for a referral to other specialists, such as gender-related surgeons.
- Primary care: Basic and preventive health is important for all patients for routine health screenings or to simply monitor overall health. Our transgender medicine specialists can help each patient meet their health goals and provide referrals for any clinical specialization required.
Call our dedicated gender care patient navigator at 216-286-LGBT (5428) to schedule a consultation with transgender care specialist at University Hospitals.
Individualized Support for Transition-Related Healthcare
We know that gender transition is a highly individualized process.
For some patients, living in agreement with one's gender identity is satisfactory. Other patients seek complete medical transition, including hormone replacement therapy and/or gender-related surgeries.
Knowledgeable specialists at University Hospitals work with each patient to identify and meet their unique gender-related needs.
Safe, Evidence-Based Gender Transition
Helping patients find the best treatments and procedures for their individual health needs in a safe, welcoming environment is part of our commitment to comprehensive care. These may include:
- Counseling and psychotherapy
- Gynecologic and urologic care
- Primary care
- Reproductive options
- Surgical gender affirmation procedures
- Voice and communication therapy
Patients must be 18 years old to undergo gender transition and the required psychological evaluation. For those who want a complete surgical gender transformation, the plastic surgeons at University Hospitals offer breast implantation, reduction or augmentation. Additionally, we offer patients the surgical services of highly qualified, reconstructive urologists for male to female (MTF) and female to male (FTM) genital reconstruction.
After gender transition, we provide continuity of care with the highest level of specialized behavioral medicine expertise throughout the transition.
Personalized Care for Individual Needs
If gender transition is part of your personal goal, our surgeons and staff offer individualized support before, during and after every aspect of care, including counseling, hormone replacement therapy and surgery.
Our staff understands the journey. Our goal is to help patients feel psychologically whole and gender-complete. Schedule an appointment with one of our team members for assistance on your unique journey.