Information & Resources for LGBTQ+ Patients
University Hospitals supplements our exceptional clinical care with a variety of resources to educate, inspire and enhance the experience journey for each patient we serve.
Patient Success Stories
Read how our patients describe their experiences and successful outcomes with the UH LGBTQ+ & Gender Care team.
Get to Know Our Compassionate Providers
Learn more about our team of providers and why they have chosen to make caring for the LGBTQ+ community part of their practice.
Local & National LGBTQ+ Advocacy & Educational Resources
For additional insights and support, consult these local and national LGBTQ+ advocacy and educational resources:
- LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland – Cleveland, OH
- Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays Cleveland – Cleveland, OH
- Colors+ Youth Center – Fairview Park, OH
- Love on a Mission – Mansfield, OH
- LGBTQ+ Allies Lake County – Painesville, OH
- Full Spectrum Community Outreach – Youngstown, OH
- Pop It to Block It – University Hospitals & MetroHealth
- TransOhio - Columbus, OH
- National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
- CDC Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Health
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- CenterLink | The Community of LGBT Centers
- LGBT HealthLink | The Network for Health Equality
- United States Professional Association for Transgender Health (USPATH)
- Black Transmen Inc.
Looking for more detailed surgical gender affirmation information? View our procedure-specific information below:
Peritoneal Pull-Through (PPT) Vaginoplasty
This is a newer affirming surgery solution based on the Davydov Procedure. It uses abdominal (peritoneal) lining to create a neo-vagina in women born without a vaginal canal.
A phalloplasty is a multi-stage procedure that may include a range of techniques, including the creation of a phallus (penis), lengthening of the urethra so you are able to urinate standing up, creating the tip (glans) of the phallus, creation of the scrotum, and placing erectile and testicular implants.
Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty (PIV)
Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty is historically the most commonly used technique to perform genital reconstruction and create feminine genitalia.
Special Immunology Unit Provides Comprehensive Care and Support for Individuals With HIV
The John T. Carey Special Immunology Unit at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center provides expert comprehensive, compassionate care to all people living with HIV regardless of ability to pay, while furthering progress in the fight against HIV through education and research.