UH Experts Offers a Wide Variety of Surgical Options for Male to Female (MTF) Transition
Choosing to surgically alter your body to align with your inner perception of self is a big decision and a permanent one. Although some transgender individuals may be comfortable simply living as their affirmed gender, others feel that surgery is an essential step to allow them to live the life they want as the person they know they are.
Once a decision has been made and the eligibility requirements for surgical transition have been met, it is essential to choose a care team with experience and expertise to achieve the best possible functional and cosmetic outcomes. The multidisciplinary team of surgeons at University Hospitals have the advanced training and experience to provide our transgender patients with a full range of procedures from which to choose, and the compassion to support patients throughout this unique journey.
Surgical Procedures for Male to Female (MTF) Gender Affirmation
This refers to a series of reconstructive surgical procedures that reshape male facial features to be more feminine. Patients may opt to have one, two or all of these transformative surgeries – some combinations may be done in one surgical session while other choices may require additional trips to the operating room. The plastic surgeons at University Hospitals will discuss your options with you and, together, you will create a plan of care.
Procedures may include:
- Mandible (jaw) contouring
- Scalp advancement & forehead contouring (brings the hairline forward and lifts the eyebrows)
- Chin contouring
- Cheek implants to improve cheek volume
- Lip lift and plumping
- Implants: The placement of silicone or saline implants above or below the pectoralis major muscle to help provide breast volume and a more feminine chest. Incisions for this procedure are typically at the base of the breast or near the armpit.
- Fat grafting: The placement of fat harvested from the abdomen can be used to add volume to the breast. This typically requires a few rounds of treatment to obtain the desired breast volume. This option does not require the use of implants.
Neck and Voice Feminization
UH otolaryngology (ENT) specialists collaborate with plastic surgeons to feminize the appearance of the throat and to alter the pitch of the voice to be more feminine. Procedures include:
- Laryngeal shave to reduce and reshape the thyroid cartilage in the neck to reduce the appearance of the Adam’s Apple for a flatter and more feminine neck.
- Type 4 Thyroplasty – a procedure to lengthen the vocal folds (cords) and raise the vocal pitch.
Reconstructive urologist, Shubham Gupta, MD collaborates with plastic surgeon, Tobias Long, MD, to remove the external male genitalia and create a vagina that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. This procedure is called vaginoplasty.
The placement of fat harvested from the abdomen and flanks can be used to shape the buttock to provide a more feminine shape.