Program Director's Welcome Letter
Thanks for your interest in the Vascular Surgery training programs at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center/Case Western Reserve University. Our goal is to provide comprehensive clinical, operative, interventional and academic training for individuals who will go on to become American Board of Surgery (ABS) board certified in Vascular Surgery and deliver compassionate, high-quality, state-of-the-art care for patients with vascular disease in academic medical centers and community practice throughout the country. Further, we expect our graduates to become leaders and educators in their communities, advocating for better access to health care, as well as for improved quality, efficacy and economy of health care delivery for their patients.
We offer Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited training in both Integrated Vascular Surgery (0 + 5 Residency) and Independent Vascular Surgery (5 + 2 Fellowship) tracks at our institution. Plentiful opportunities for clinical and operative experience across multiple facilities allow for separation of senior residents and fellows to eliminate competition for index cases and ensure that independence in management of service responsibilities is maintained.
Some of the highlights of our programs include:
- Multiple outstanding training venues for breadth and variety of clinical cases, including standard OR, hybrid OR, and Cath Lab experiences: UH Cleveland Medical Center, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, MetroHealth Medical Center, University Hospitals Ahuja Medical Center, University Hospitals St. John Medical Center
- More than 12 faculty members (all sites) with years of experience in clinical vascular surgery and significant academic accomplishments, all of whom are dedicated to teaching and educating trainees. In addition, teaching faculty from podiatry, vascular medicine and interventional cardiology are integrated with the vascular surgery team.
- Large case volume across sites allows trainees to graduate with close to 1,000 vascular cases. Our senior trainees typically achieve the required defined case category minimums well ahead of program completion.
- A broad clinical practice encompassing diagnosis and treatment of cerebrovascular, aortic, peripheral arterial and venous disease; American College of Surgeons (ACS) designated Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center exposure to blunt and penetrating vascular trauma.
- A robust educational conference schedule and time for educational activities
- The opportunity to perform clinical research and participate in national, multicenter trials
- A family-friendly city on the shores of Lake Erie, with arts, excellent food, and three national level professional sports teams
If diverse and comprehensive vascular training is what you are looking for, we invite you to explore our site for more information on what UH Cleveland Medical Center/Case Western Reserve University can offer. We look forward to meeting you.
Virginia L. Wong, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery, Case Western Reserve University
Program Director, Vascular Surgery Training Programs
University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
Division of Vascular Surgery & Endovascular Therapy