Breast Imaging Fellowship
The Breast Imaging Division at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, in collaboration with Case Western Reserve University, offers two positions annually for a one-year comprehensive breast imaging fellowship according to the guidelines and curriculum recommended by the Society of Breast Imaging (SBI).
The Breen Breast Health Pavilion is a state-of-the-art breast center. All our breast centers maintain the status of Breast Imaging Center of Excellence based on our American College of Radiology (ACR) accreditation. We also have ACR accreditation for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for the sites that perform breast MRI at University Hospitals. We have excellent support staff, including a clinical nurse navigator at most sites.
Most of our exams are performed among five main breast centers staffed by eight dedicated breast imaging radiologists. The fellow is actively involved in the interpretation of examinations, performance of procedures, and consultation with referring physicians.
Breast Imaging Examinations
We perform the whole gamut of breast imaging exams, including:
- Full protocol MRIs and abbreviated protocol MRIs aka FAST MRIs (over 800/year)
- Interventional procedures (over 3,000/year) including MRI, US and Stereotactic core biopsies (prone, upright, and including lateral arm capability)
- Magseed and wire localizations
- Screening and diagnostic mammography (over 64,000/year)
Current Technology Overview
Our breast centers are equipped with the most advanced technology available, including:
- Suros and Marquee biopsy devices for ultrasound biopsies
- Four stereotactic biopsy units (three prone and one upright with lateral arm capability)
- Hologic Dimensions mammography units at five breast centers (tomosynthesis with C-view available at all five breast centers)
- MRIs done on 1.5 and 3.0T Siemens, Philips, and GE magnets
- Seven Supersonic ultrasound units
- Suros Atec biopsy devices for use in MRI, stereotactic and ultrasound biopsies
Conferences and Training
The ultimate goal is for the breast imaging fellows to assume the role of primary imager with the faculty person as a supervisor. The breast imaging division has a strong interest in fellow and resident education and clinical research is encouraged.
Fellows are actively involved in the interpretation of examinations, performance of procedures and consultation with referring physicians. There is one weekly multidisciplinary tumor board conference attended by the fellows and a faculty member. Other conferences include the monthly radiology-pathology conference, monthly journal club and weekly resident conferences.
As a breast imaging fellow, dedicated research time is negotiable, and there is access to Case Center for Imaging Research (CCIR), which is a joint venture between Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and UH Cleveland Medical Center. There is funding available for educational meetings/conferences.
On-call weekend responsibilities exist and vary yearly depending on the needs of the department.
Eligibility for Fellowship
We are participating in the Breast Imaging Fellowship Match which will take place in June 2020 for the 2021-2022 appointment year. The match is sponsored by the Society of Breast Imaging, and it will be managed by the National Resident Matching Program.
- An Ohio State Medical License is required before the start of the fellowship
- Applicants must participate in the SBI Fellowship Match Program
- Candidates must be board-eligible or board-certified in radiology before the start of the fellowship
- Candidates should have completed their residency in the U.S.
Schedule for Interviews, Match and Training
- Interview Period begins December 1, 2019
- March 25, 2020: Match opens
- April 22, 2020: Ranking opens
- May 13, 2020: Quota change deadline
- May 27, 2020: Ranking closes
- June 10, 2020: Match Day
- July 1, 2021: Training begins
Required Application Materials
- SBI Universal Application which includes:
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Transcript
- Medical School Transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one should be from residency program director)
- Copies of any research or publications (if applicable)
Please email all required documents to Cecilia Foreman and Ramya Pham, MD. Alternatively, documents may be sent by regular mail to the address below. Once the application packet is complete, we will contact you directly about arranging an interview.
Current Breast Fellows
Kalpesh Desai, DO
Rachel Shikhman, DO
Ramya Pham, MD
Associate Chief of Breast Imaging
Assistant Professor of Radiology
University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
11100 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106
Life in Cleveland Has So Much to Offer
Whether you are interested in exploring the rich cultural history of its neighborhoods or eating at one of its many award-winning eateries, Cleveland has something for everyone.