UH Cleveland Visiting Hours
It is your right to have support persons* (visitors) come to see you while you are in the hospital. We welcome and encourage their visits. While we have no formal visiting hours and try to be as flexible as possible to meet you and your support persons’ needs, under certain circumstances it may be necessary to limit visitation. For instance, visitation may be restricted to abide by a patient’s preferences, to control the spread of infection, to heed a physician or nurse’s best clinical judgment or if visitation interferes with the care of the patient or other patients, to maintain privacy or to ensure a quiet, restful atmosphere for a patient or a patient’s roommate. You are entitled to an explanation whenever a restriction is placed on visitation.
General University Hospitals Visitation Guidelines for Adult Patients:
- Please check with the nurse for any specific visitation guidelines for your nursing unit.
- Our recommendation is to limit the number of support persons (visitors) at any one time. Our suggestion is two per patient.
- Please check with nursing personnel before visiting with children and infants.
- Please don’t visit if you are sick or might have a cold or other illness.
- Ensure that children who visit are supervised by an adult other than the patient.
- Keep voices low.
- Please do not bring latex balloons to the hospital.
* A support person can be a spouse, family member, same-sex partner, friend or other individual who supports the patient during his or her hospital stay. There is no limit on who may be designated a support person by the patient and no restrictions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability.
General and Patient Information
For information such as directions around campus or a telephone number to a patient’s room, or help getting in touch with a head nurse, please contact Patient Information and Reception Services at 216-844-3911, ext 43911 (24 hours a day). Patient Information and Reception Services also operates a network of six Information Desks at key hospital locations.
Surgical Waiting Areas
We offer three waiting areas where you can receive updates on a loved one who is having surgery.
The waiting area for families of adult surgical patients is on Lerner Tower 2, with receptionists on duty from 5:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. Surgeons often meet with family members here to provide updates. Pagers available at the reception desk allow you to leave the area while staying in touch. The waiting area is not staffed on weekends and after 8 p.m. on weekdays.
For information about progress in surgery after hours, visitors can call the number below using a cell phone, the wall phone or the phone at the reception desk.
- Adult Surgical Waiting Area Receptionist: ext. 42006 or 216-844-2006 from outside the hospital
- After hours: families can call ext. 42260, or 216-844-2260 from outside the hospital for information
Minimally Invasive Surgery Center (Adult)
The waiting area for families of adults having surgery is located in the basement of Mather Pavilion. Receptionists are on duty from 5:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Pagers available at the reception desk allow you to leave the area while staying in touch. The waiting area is not staffed on weekends and after 2 p.m. on weekdays. After hours, visitors can call the number below for information, using a cell phone or the phone at the reception desk.