University Hospitals Care Coordination Services Help Women with High-Risk Fetal Conditions
The Barbara Peterson Ruhlman Women & Newborn Center at University Hospitals MacDonald Women’s Hospital provides leading-edge care coordination services for women with complex pregnancies, including:
- Fetal malformations
- Maternal conditions that develop before or during pregnancy
Pregnancy can be stressful, especially if mom and/or baby are identified with health concerns. There are generally three types of complex pregnancies, including:
- Those that involve a mother with a complicated disease process such as diabetes or a heart condition
- Those that involve an unborn baby with a difficult diagnosis such as congenital heart disease or a genetic condition
- Those where both mom and baby are affected with complex conditions
The primary aspects of care coordination involve awareness and education. We want all potential care providers to be aware of our patients, their diagnoses, and any potential complications. Additionally, we want our patients to understand their own or their baby’s diagnosis and treatment plan.
Specialized Care for Each Patient
The Ruhlman Women & Newborn Center provides specialized care for each patient at no additional cost. Our patient navigator will:
- Coordinate appointments for moms carrying a baby with anomalies/genetic conditions or moms with complex health issues, as they move through University Hospitals.
- Be a resource and point of contact for referring providers to efficiently coordinate care.
- Provide follow-up about testing and outcomes.
- Summarize health management recommendations and assist patients in understanding the information they need to make appropriate healthcare decisions.
- Improve patient and family confidence in their knowledge about risks, benefits and responsibilities related to their healthcare.
- Maintain a relationship with the patient and family through the duration of their care.
Expert OB/GYN and Neonatal Care Under One Roof
Women with high-risk fetal conditions may have to deliver at UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital for immediate access to neonatologist care. We are the only local hospital with access to nationally esteemed OB/GYNs and neonatologists within the same facility.
Care coordination services assists parents in meeting pediatric and medical specialists before the birth of the baby. Also, parents can remain with the baby 24/7 at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, if NICU care is necessary.
U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital in the top tier nationwide for neonatal care.