Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at UH Helps Patients Breathe Easier
University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute in Cleveland, Ohio, offers a renowned Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program aimed at helping patients to improve breathing and overcome lung disorders.
Our highly trained pulmonary rehabilitation team includes skilled nurses, registered respiratory therapists, exercise physiologists, registered dietitians, pharmacists, pulmonologists and other experts as needed.
Candidates for Pulmonary Rehab
At UH, our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program benefits a variety of patients, including individuals who have been diagnosed with the following:
- Chronic pulmonary disease
- Restrictive lung disease or interstitial disease such as
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Lung conditions such as
- Lung Cancer
- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension
- Obesity-related Respiratory Disease
Advantages of Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Pulmonary rehabilitation at UH offers many positive benefits, including:
- Relief of respiratory symptoms (shortness of breath, dyspnea and fatigue)
- Reducing the fear and anxiety associated with chronic pulmonary diseases
- Increasing exercise capacity, stamina and the ability to perform daily activities
- Promoting an increased awareness of pulmonary disease and its management
- Improving respiratory hygiene to reduce infections
- Enhancing quality of life
Comprehensive Three-Phase Approach
The highly successful Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at UH consists of three phases. Each phase is specifically designed to bring the patient closer to health and independence.
- Phase 1 – This phase starts during the hospital stay and includes education and a limited exercise program that’s coordinated by the physician, nurse and respiratory therapist. Patients and families are educated about pulmonary conditions, pulmonary risk factors and proper pulmonary care upon release from the hospital. Also, a certified social worker can answer questions about insurance and health care arrangements.
- Phase 2 – This phase includes a structured outpatient program whereby pulmonary patients can exercise and participate in educational programs three times per week. Individual and group counseling is available to help patients return to a healthier lifestyle. As the patient progresses, professional assistance continues with education, nutrition counseling and additional individualized exercise programs. During workout sessions, a telemetry unit monitors the patient's heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen saturation level, while the staff observes blood pressure, pulse and oxygen saturation. When this program is completed, a final evaluation is sent to the patient's physician.
- Phrase 3 – During this phase, patients work out on the same equipment used in phase two as part of a safe, healthy exercise program. Also, patients meet twice a week to maintain the benefits and changes already learned under the supervision of their pulmonary health care professionals.
Support Group Encourages Healthy Lifestyle
The Pulmonary Support Group, in conjunction with the American Lung Association Better Breathers Club, encourages patients to continue maintaining a healthy lifestyle. During group meetings, patients learn about their condition, receive emotional support and acquire coping strategies. Patients may continue to participate in this support group throughout phase three of their pulmonary rehabilitation.
Close-to-Home Locations for Pulmonary Rehab Services
University Hospitals provides its comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation services at the following locations:
University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
11100 Euclid Avenue
Mather Pavilion, Room 1701
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
University Hospitals Conneaut Medical Center
158 West Main Road
Conneaut, Ohio 44030
University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center
630 East River Street
Elyria, Ohio 44035
University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center, a campus of UH Regional Hospitals
13207 Ravenna Road
Chardon, Ohio 44024
University Hospitals Geneva Medical Center
870 West Main Street
Geneva, Ohio 44041
University Hospitals Parma Medical Center
7007 Powers Boulevard
Parma, Ohio 44129
6847 North Chestnut Street
Ravenna, Ohio 44266
University Hospitals Samaritan Medical Center
1025 Center Street
Ashland, Ohio 44805
University Hospitals St. John Medical Center
26908 Detroit Road, Suite 300
Westlake, Ohio 44145
UH Minoff Health Center at Chagrin Highlands
3909 Orange Place, Suite 3300
Orange Village, Ohio 44122
University Hospitals Mentor Health Center
9000 Mentor Avenue, Suite 203
Mentor, Ohio 44060
We accept most major insurance plans and will check your insurance coverage prior to starting a program. You must have a physician referral to enroll in a program.
For more information, please contact us by phone at 1-866-UH4-CARE or by email at PulmonaryRehabilitation2@UHhospitals.org.