Social Justice and Equity
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, University Hospitals has formed the Social Justice & Equity team to engage hospital leadership and caregivers in understanding racial inequity, injustice and disparities in our health care system and to seek out ways we can address and find solutions to some of these pervasive issues.
UH Social Justice & Equity Team Mission Statement
The mission of the UH Social Justice & Equity team is to convene hospital leadership, practitioners, researchers and diverse caregivers from various disciplines to figure out novel and practical ways to understand, explain and solve the seemingly intractable problems of racial inequity and injustice within our system. We will foster exhaustive research, research-based policy, innovation, data-driven education and advocacy campaigns, and narrative-change initiatives. UH is working toward building an anti-racist society that ensures equity and justice for the diverse communities we serve.
The Social Justice & Equity team includes:
- The core leadership team that acts as expert liaisons for sub-committees which have been selected as top priorities for the system. The leadership team consists of both clinical and administrative leaders from throughout the UH system.
- Sub-committees that focus on each of our six pillars; these committees explore, report and create innovative ways to eliminate unconscious racial practices and promote inclusivity. Each subcommittee is led by a senior leader in the UH system, and members include a diverse group of UH employees and community partners.
Six pillars have been selected as the foundation of our committee’s objectives:
- Educate our leaders and employees with a focus that incorporates history, emphasizes our legacy, and leads to strategic governance, promotes equity and creates a climate of dignity and respect.
- Innovate through screening and high-level educational programs focused to assist new and current leaders to engage in departmental, local and community initiatives that promote social justice and equity.
- Investigate and address any issues, policies and procedures that reflect bias, discrimination, racism or supremacy that may negatively impact patient care, employee inclusion and productivity.
- Evaluate our current climate of racial and equity practices, and develop or use tools that collect data that reflect accountability going forward.
- Advocate for best practices and next practices that enhance diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Invigorate our search for funding that will support our research, clinical and academic efforts promoting equity.