Enhancing the Lives of Our Community and the World
Jill Barnholtz-Sloan, PhD
Director for Research Health Analytics and Informatics
Population Health Research at University Hospitals
Population health is the science of analyzing the input and output data of the overall health and well-being of a population and using this knowledge to produce desirable population outcomes.1 UH Research & education’s (UH R&E) population health researchers apply informatics and health analytics to align with the UH R&E vision to address unmet clinical needs and enhance the lives of our community and the world.
UH Research & Education population health researchers use “big data” – extremely large health data sets – to reveal patterns, trends, and associations, to improve University Hospital health care for patients and the community. “Big data” come in many forms, leading to many types of research opportunities including:
- Cohort identification
- Clinical outcomes modeling
- Cost effectiveness
- Patterns of care
- Individualized risk predictions and monitoring
- Trends --- incidence, survival, mortality
- Operations enhancement / quality
UH R&E Health Analytics & Informatics Team Provides Support
The UH Research & Education Health Analytics & Informatics team collaborates with UH faculty and trainees on health analytics projects, including but not limited to, clinical outcomes and risk prediction modeling. The team also:
- Provides guidance to appropriately design research studies using UH data and other data sources. Guidance also includes robust analysis and interpretation of results, leading to grant applications, peer-reviewed publications and presentations at national/international meetings.
- Provides guidance and direction for use of the UH data and other data sources for impacting health outcomes in the UH patient population.
- Trains interested UH investigators in what data are available (both at UH and other data sources) and how to leverage the data to answer their questions.
- Facilitates access to collaborative opportunities in Cleveland and beyond
Visit the Barnholtz-Sloan Lab on Case.edu for more information.
Research & Education Institute
Committed to discovery, team-science and continued educational excellence.