Department of Medicine Research
Geriatrics and Palliative Care Research
Research in the UH Division of Geriatric Services is focused on the following themes:
- Delirium - Research is focused on delirium prevention and memory loss in hospitalized older patients.
- Care Transitions - Research projects study transitions of patients from the hospital to a nursing facility or home, as well as from a skilled nursing facility to community. Research is specifically focused on reducing readmission rates through the education of patients and caregivers.
- Vaccine - Research is concentrated on increasing vaccination rates in outpatient populations and improving vaccine uptake.
- Antibiotic Stewardship - Research is looking at ways to reduce the use of unnecessary antibiotics and opportunistic infections related to antibiotics.
- Patient Engagement - Research is geared toward encouraging and empowering patients to speak up when they have questions or concerns about their health.