Parkinson’s Boot Camp™ 2015
Parkinson’s Boot Camp 2015 – A Rousing Success
A capacity crowd of 850 filled the John S. Knight Center in Akron on Saturday, September 19 for the Seventh Annual Northeast Ohio Parkinson’s Boot Camp™. People with Parkinson’s and their caregivers were treated to a free, day-long, interactive event where they learned exercise techniques, mind and body wellness practices and invigorating skills to help them manage their Parkinson’s disease (PD).
Highlights of the day included:
- Presentation of two Parkinson’s Disease Champion Awards to Kim Ganley and Brian Butler:
- Kim Ganley is a member of the Ganley Auto Group family and sits on the board of directors of the UH Neurological Institute. Her father suffers from PD, and helps drive her passion for supporting those with the disease. Kim has been instrumental in developing and growing the Boot Camp from its inception.
- Brian Butler, RN, MSN, who was diagnosed with PD in 2012, is a U.S. Army veteran and retired UH nurse. He generated both awareness and funds for Parkinson’s through his journey earlier this year on the Appalachian Trail.
- Kim Ganley surprised Dr. Benjamin Walter, MD with a donation that will allow the Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders Center to continue to provide education and research to improve the lives of those who suffer from PD.
- Exercise sessions specifically tailored for those with PD, including “Zumba for PD” and “Delay the Disease”
- Motivational speaker John Baumann, JD, who shared how – as a person with Parkinson’s – he has embraced the disease and considers himself healthier now than before PD
Now in its seventh year, the Parkinson’s Boot Camp has become recognized both nationally and internationally for its efforts to educate and inspire those who attend. The Boot Camp is presented by the University Hospitals Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders Center in partnership with Courageous Steps for Parkinson’s and the Ohio Parkinson Foundation, Northeast Region.
The Boot Camp Committee would like to thank everyone who participated, including the volunteers who helped the event run smoothly. For information about the 2016 Boot Camp, please check back in the spring of 2016 and fill out the form below to be added to our mailing list.
The following presentations were given at the 2015 Parkinson’s Boot Camp. Please click on the links to download them.
- Gait and Balance in Parkinson’s Disease (MS PowerPoint)
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment Warm-Up (MS PowerPoint)
- Living Well With Parkinson’s Disease (MS PowerPoint)
- Nutrition Tips for Building a Healthy GI Tract (MS PowerPoint)
- What's New in the Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease (MS PowerPoint)
- You CAN Influence Your Experience with a Life-Changing Event (MS PowerPoint)