Virtual Visit Offers Convenient and Safe Appointments
University Hospitals virtual visits provide a convenient, simple way to make and keep your appointments without having to go into a doctor’s office. Our virtual visit services include online video and telephone appointments.
You can schedule an appointment with your UH primary care physician, a UH specialist or for immediate, non-emergency, conditions you can schedule an appointment 24/7 with any provider.
Schedule with Your Doctor
Schedule a virtual visit with your provider or with a specialty provider. Depending on your unique needs, your virtual visit may be scheduled as an online video or a phone appointment. Your doctor will determine which option works best for you.
See A Provider Now
For more immediate medical needs, visit with a provider in minutes, online or by phone. This option is available 24/7 for non-emergency conditions such as allergies, digestive problems, flu, respiratory issues, skin conditions, sore throats and more.
Preparing for Your Appointment
Learn what steps to take in order to get the most out of your virtual visit appointment and ensure it goes smoothly.
How it Works
When you schedule a virtual visit appointment, you will receive a text or email with a secure link prior to your appointment. You may receive a phone call from the office to complete check-in about 15 minutes prior to your appointment. When your appointment time arrives, click on the link and follow the instructions to join your appointment. Make sure the camera and microphone on your computer or device are working properly so your provider will be able to communicate with you. Your provider will join you online to begin your appointment.
A charge will be submitted to your insurance company per usual business practices. You may be responsible for a portion or all of this cost depending on your insurance.
Preparing for your appointment
To get the most out of your virtual visit appointment and ensure it goes smoothly make sure to:
- Keep track of your symptoms and when they started.
- Keep track of your temperature, blood pressure, weight or other vitals you can get easily at home.
- Keep a list of chronic conditions and medications. Have pill bottle(s) handy to answer questions.
- Prepare a list of questions you have for your doctor.
- Have a pen and paper ready to take notes if needed.
- Consider having a family member nearby to participate, ask and answer questions, if helpful. You may be able to invite your family member to the virtual visit once you are in the session.
- Make sure your phone, computer or tablet are charged.
- Be ready 10 – 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment with your device powered on and ready.
- You may receive a call to complete registration prior to your appointment. Be prepared to answer even if it is from an unfamiliar number.
For a virtual visit appointment, make sure you:
- Have a reliable internet connection
- Have a computer, tablet or smartphone with a camera and microphone (preferably a computer/laptop)
- For the best experience please use Google Chrome web browser, however any browser will work besides Internet Explorer (download Chrome here)
- Install any apps if directed by your doctor’s office
- Please do not take pictures, videos or record audio of your visit
Frequently Asked Questions
- What browser should I use for this visit?
You can use most of the common browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). The only browser that does not work for this session is Internet Explorer.
- I am unable to see my doctor and/or my doctor can’t see me. How do I fix this?
Check to see if your provider has joined the session yet. When you join, you are in a virtual waiting room, so you won’t be able to see your provider until he or she joins. If your provider can’t see you, ensure that your camera is unblocked from your web browser.
- What do I do if there is no sound?
Ensure that the volume is turned up on your phone, tablet or computer, and make sure your device is not on mute.
- Is this visit covered by my insurance plan?
While most insurance plans cover virtual visits, you may want to review your policy or contact your insurance to verify coverage.
- What is a UH account?
You can easily schedule your follow-up or referral appointment online with your UH Account. With a UH Account you can enjoy convenient, online access to all the UH services you rely on to stay informed and healthy, including appointment details, health reminders, classes and events, billing and payment summaries and more.