Virtual Visit Offers Convenient and Safe Appointments
University Hospitals virtual visits provide a convenient, simple way to make and keep your appointments without having to go into a doctor’s office. Our virtual visit services include online video and telephone appointments.
You can schedule an appointment with your UH primary care physician, a UH specialist or for immediate, non-emergency, conditions you can schedule an appointment 24/7 with any provider.
Schedule with Your Doctor
Schedule a virtual visit with your provider or with a specialty provider. Depending on your unique needs, your virtual visit may be scheduled as an online video or a phone appointment. Your doctor will determine which option works best for you.
See A Provider Now
For more immediate medical needs, visit with a provider in minutes, online or by phone. This option is available for non-emergency conditions in adults and kids such as allergies, digestive problems, flu, respiratory issues, skin conditions, sore throats and more.
Our doctors are trained to treat a wide range of conditions. Some of the most common are:
- Ear Problems
- Insect Bites
- Pink Eye
- Respiratory Problems
- Sore Throats
- Urinary problems/UTI
- How it works
When you schedule a virtual visit appointment, you will receive a text or email with a secure link prior to your appointment. You may receive a phone call from the office to complete check-in about 15 minutes prior to your appointment. When your appointment time arrives, click on the link and follow the instructions to join your appointment. Make sure the camera and microphone on your computer or device are working properly so your provider will be able to communicate with you. Your provider will join you online to begin your appointment.
A charge will be submitted to your insurance company per usual business practices. You may be responsible for a portion or all of this cost depending on your insurance.
- Preparing for your appointment
To get the most out of your virtual visit appointment and ensure it goes smoothly make sure to:
- Keep track of your symptoms and when they started.
- Keep track of your temperature, blood pressure, weight or other vitals you can get easily at home.
- Keep a list of chronic conditions and medications. Have pill bottle(s) handy to answer questions.
- Prepare a list of questions you have for your doctor.
- Have a pen and paper ready to take notes if needed.
- Consider having a family member nearby to participate, ask and answer questions, if helpful. You may be able to invite your family member to the virtual visit once you are in the session.
- Make sure your phone, computer or tablet are charged.
- Be ready 10 – 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment with your device powered on and ready.
- You may receive a call to complete registration prior to your appointment. Be prepared to answer even if it is from an unfamiliar number.
- What browser should I use for this visit?
You can use most of the common browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). The only browser that does not work for this session is Internet Explorer.
- I am unable to see my doctor and/or my doctor can’t see me. How do I fix this?
Check to see if your provider has joined the session yet. When you join, you are in a virtual waiting room, so you won’t be able to see your provider until he or she joins. If your provider can’t see you, ensure that your camera is unblocked from your web browser.
- What do I do if there is no sound?
Ensure that the volume is turned up on your phone, tablet or computer, and make sure your device is not on mute.
- Is this visit covered by my insurance plan?
While most insurance plans cover virtual visits, you may want to review your policy or contact your insurance to verify coverage.
- What is a UH account?
You can easily schedule your follow-up or referral appointment online with your UH Account. With a UH Account you can enjoy convenient, online access to all the UH services you rely on to stay informed and healthy, including appointment details, health reminders, classes and events, billing and payment summaries and more.
Follow Email Invitation & Complete Setup
If you don’t see the email in your inbox, check your spam folder or ask your provider to send it again.
Use the Ideal Browser for Your Phone
For iPhone and iPad devices, please use Safari. Android users should use the native Chrome browser.
Check Your Internet Speed
1mbps up & down is the recommended minimum. If it is below this, try connecting directly to your router. See how to check you current speed.
Perform a Precall Test
Test your browser prior to your first session to make sure your camera and mic work properly.
Reboot Your Computer
Before your appointment, reboot your computer and make sure no other applications are running.
Check in to Your Scheduled Session
You will receive an email reminder 1 hour prior to your session. Use the link to check-in 5-10 minutes early.
Agree to the Pre-Session Agreement
Make sure you are in a safe and secure environment. It is also best to have good lighting in front of you.
Start Session and Allow Camera & Mic
If your provider is ready, a green dot will appear next to their name. Accept notifications and click “Start”.