Questions About Skin Cancer Care
University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center Empowers Patients to Ask Questions About Their Medical Care
At UH Seidman Cancer Center, our staff members understand that patients often want to take an active role in making decisions regarding their medical care. They want to learn all they can about their skin cancer disease and treatment choices. However, possible shock and stress after a diagnosis can make it hard to think of everything to ask a physician. It often helps to make a list of questions before an appointment.
These are some common questions a person may want to ask before a treatment begins:
- What is my diagnosis?
- What is the stage of my disease?
- What are my treatment choices? Which treatments do you recommend, and why?
- What are the benefits of each type of treatment?
- What are the risks and possible side effects of each treatment?
- How will I feel after surgery?
- If I have pain, how will it be controlled?
- Will I need more treatment after surgery?
- Will there be a scar? Will I need a skin graft or plastic surgery?
- What will the treatment cost?
- Will treatment affect my normal activities? If so, for how long?
- How often will I need checkups?
- Would a clinical trail (research study) be appropriate for me? Can you help me find one?
Answers to the above questions will help determine which specialists are needed and the appropriate treatment path.