Message from the Chief Academic Officer
Mukesh K. Jain, MD, FAHA
Ellery Sedgwick Jr. Chair & Distinguished Scientist
Chief Academic Officer, University Hospitals Health System
Chief Scientific Officer, Harrington Discovery Institute
Chief Research Officer, UH Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute
Visiting Professor, University of Oxford, UK
Professor and Vice Dean for UH Hospital Affairs, Case Western Reserve University
University Hospitals Health System (UHHS) is one of the nation's leading comprehensive and integrated academic health system. UHHS's vision is to advance the science of health and the art of compassion. UH addresses unmet clinical needs and enhances the lives of patients, our community and the world by accelerating discovery, innovation, and translation of scientific breakthroughs.
UH Research & Education Institute (UH R&E), the entity that oversees the academic operations is committed to achievement by:
- Succeeding along the full continuum of research from discovery to commercialization
- Developing, testing, implementing, and evaluating the efficacy of new therapies
- Leveraging team science and diverse partnerships
- Ensuring that our research and educational programs are integrated with our clinical services, and
- Emphasizing a culture of life-long learning through continued excellence in teaching programs, innovation in new modes of training, and promoting faculty development and collaboration.
Today, UHHS is home to a robust and diverse research portfolio, one of the largest clinical trials enterprise in Ohio, premier comprehensive centers of excellence, and a unique international initiative that supports drug discovery and development. We remain a fertile training ground for hundreds of medical students from around the globe and over a thousand residents/ fellows. Collectively these efforts ensure that we meet our enterprise mission "To Heal. To Teach. To Discover".