About My UH Personal Health Record FAQ
Common Questions About UH Personal Health Record
- What is the difference between the UH Electronic Medical Record and your UH Personal Health Record?
The UH Electronic Medical Record (also called EMR) has all of your University Hospitals health records stored on a computer system. It is an electronic version of a paper chart. The EMR is what your health care team uses to keep track of your health.
The UH Personal Health Record (also called PHR) is not the same as the electronic medical record. It does not have your complete UH health record information. Instead, your PHR has certain health info that is copied from the UH EMR.
Your PHR lets you collect, share and keep track of certain info about your health or the health of someone in your care. You can also store things like your medications, allergies, health problems and lab results in your PHR.
- How do you ensure my medical information is secure?
Keeping your medical information secure and private is one of our top priorities. FollowMyHealth™ (FMH) is the PHR administrator. Here are the steps we have taken to make sure the information in your PHR is secure.
- Secure Login
- The PHR offers a secure login option that lets you create a username and password specifically for your PHR account.
- You also may sign in to your PHR with your username and password for an existing Facebook, Google, Yahoo or Windows Live account. We never share the information in your PHR with these websites.
- Encryption: Encryption makes your information unreadable as it is sent over the Internet. Federal patient privacy laws and regulations require the encryption of all information sent to and from the PHR. This ensures that any messages, appointment requests or prescription refill requests sent through the PHR are secure.
- Your medical information stored in your PHR is also encrypted. The PHR uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology for your login, shown as “HTTPS” in your browser's address bar. SSL technology is an industry standard for securing communication over the Internet and is commonly used by online shopping sites and banks. Information in your PHR and any messages you send to your provider's office are coded, or encrypted, so your information is protected.
- Release of Information
- When you set up your PHR, FMH asks you to sign a release of information electronically.
- By electronically signing this form:
- You give UH permission to have portions of your UH medical record uploaded and securely stored in your PHR.
- You accept responsibility for all of your data in your PHR.
- UH does not release any medical information without a signed release of information form.
Federal Patient Privacy Laws and Regulations: UH is a “Covered Entity” under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). As a Covered Entity, UH is bound to protect the privacy of individually identifiable health information and to meet certain standards for the security of electronic protected health information.
When you agree to the release of information and participate in the PHR, UH is still obligated to maintain the privacy and security of your medical information while it is under UH’s control. You are granting UH permission to release this information to FMH for the creation of your personal health record.
- Federal patient privacy laws and regulations protect the security of your health information.
- These laws forbid UH or FMH to share your information with anyone without your permission.
- Secure Login
- How can I get support for MyUHCare and my personal health record?
There are several online support materials available within the PHR, including a knowledge base with answers to PHR questions from other patients, a tutorial video and a step-by-step user guide. To view these materials, click on My Account in your PHR, then click on Support from the drop-down box. Scroll to the bottom of the window that opens to find links for the knowledge base, video and user guide.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT OR QUESTIONS
For technical questions or general support for MyUHCare Personal Health Record or FollowMyHealth™ online tool please review the following options:
About Your UH Personal Health Record
- What is MyUHCare?
MyUHCare is a Web-based resource designed by University Hospitals to help you manage your personal health and health care. Some of the actions you can take through the MyUHCare website include:
- Review your health record online in a private, secure setting
- Request appointments, appointment changes and prescription refills
- View and pay your UH bills
- Send a secure health message to your physician’s office
- View X-ray, MRI, CT and other imaging and lab test results
- What is my UH Personal Health Record?
Your UH Personal Health Record (PHR) is a tool you can use to collect, track and share information about your health or the health of someone in your care. Your PHR is separate from your UH medical record. Your UH PHR is an online location where you can store important health information like medications, allergies, past medical history and lab and radiology results. It contains selected, limited medical information from the UH medical record, but it does not include the complete contents of the medical record. Your UH PHR includes information that you enter into it and information copied from the UH medical record.
- What is FollowMyHealth™?
FollowMyHealth™ (FMH) is the technology that allows you to access and use your UH Personal Health Record (PHR). Many hospitals and health systems around the country use FMH technology to provide their patients with access to their health information. You will see the FMH logo on the screen when you log into your PHR. When you set up your PHR, you grant UH permission to share parts of your medical record with FMH to use in your PHR.
- Is my UH Personal Health Record secure?
Yes, UH sends information to your UH Personal Health Record (PHR) securely. Federal and state privacy laws and regulations apply to your PHR, but you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your PHR and the information it contains. You can do this by making sure your password is secure and confidential and limiting the people who have access to your information.
- Who owns the information in my UH Personal Health Record?
You own the information in your UH Personal Health Record (PHR). Your PHR contains health information that you enter and information that is copied into it from the UH medical record. If you request a connection with other medical facilities that also use FMH, your PHR will also contain information copied from the electronic medical records at those facilities. Your PHR is separate from your medical record. If you wish, you can share your PHR and the health information it contains with your health care providers and caretakers to help manage your health.
Correcting Errors in your PHR
- Correcting Errors in your PHR
If you believe information in your PHR is inaccurate, discuss the error with the health care provider who added the information to your permanent medical record and ask him or her to correct it in the EMR. You may also submit your request in writing to PHRPrivacy@UHhospitals.org or:
UH Privacy Officer
3605 Warrensville Center Road, Mail Stop #MSC 9105
Shaker Heights, OH 44122