PGY1 Training in Pediatric Pharmacy
About & Program Objectives
University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital PGY1 Pharmacy Residency program builds on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for patient’s medication-related care for a wide range of disease states and conditions. Graduating PGY1 residents are prepared for board certification and are eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training. Training focuses on developing the resident’s knowledge base and treatment strategies involving a range of diseases and disorders in pediatric patients.
The PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency is a one-year commitment designed to provide post-graduate practical experience in providing of pharmaceutical care to pediatric patients. Through these experiences, the resident is provided the opportunity to develop as a pediatric and general practitioner. Our goal is to train each resident to be a competent and confident provider of comprehensive pharmaceutical care for various pediatric conditions. Residents will demonstrate the ability to manage patient care and achieve optimal drug therapy outcomes. Residents will be accountable for providing education to other health care professionals and patients through a multitude of educational opportunities. Each resident will develop individual and professional skills that result in a highly marketable clinical practioner throughout this residency experience.
Graduating PGY1 residents will:
- Ensure safe, effective, and appropriate drug therapy and prevent, identify and resolve drug-related problems
- Present as a competent, confident, and compassionate practitioner
- Demonstrate a commitment to the advancement of the profession and continued personal growth
- Create, promote and participate as a part of a multidisciplinary medical team
- Demonstrate the ability to identify opportunities for improvement within a practice and practice site
- Provide education to professional and nonprofessional audiences, utilizing effective communication skills
- Demonstrate a foundation of leadership skills in pharmacy practice
- Learn professional staffing
Life in Cleveland Has So Much to Offer
Whether you are interested in exploring the rich cultural history of its neighborhoods or eating at one of its many award-winning eateries, Cleveland has something for everyone.