UH Lake West Medical Center in Willoughby, Ohio
UH Lake West Medical Center provides a full range of high-level acute care services to the residents of Willoughby and the surrounding communities.
The 237-bed hospital features expert care in multiple specialties, including Lake County’s only Trauma Center. Lake West holds a Level III Trauma Center and is designated a Primary Stroke Center. In addition, Lake West specializes in heart and vascular, orthopedics, bariatric surgery, wound care, and more.
The physician pavilion adjacent to UH Lake West Medical Center houses the Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute, physical therapy, an onsite retail pharmacy, and physician offices offering a variety of specialty care.
Additional Services Available at Our Medical Center
In addition to a full spectrum of medical and surgical services, UH Lake West offers radiology and diagnostic imaging services and a full spectrum of laboratory tests for the convenience of our patients. We also offer an anti-coagulation clinic for the safety of our patients taking blood thinners.
UH Lake West Medical Center is a preferred provider for all major managed care plans, delivering exceptional care, close to home.
History of UH Lake West Medical Center
University Hospitals Lake West Hospital dates back to 1961 as part of the Lake Health System.
Lake Health began in 1902 when the New Connecticut Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) formed Painesville Hospital, the first chartered hospital in downtown Painesville. In 1924, the Lake County Commissioners took control of the hospital and it was renamed Lake County Memorial Hospital.
In 1959, the new 141-bed Lake County Memorial Hospital-East opened. This facility, located in downtown Painesville, would later be renamed Lake East Hospital.
Two years later, the county built a new 185-bed hospital named Lake County Memorial Hospital-West in Willoughby, Ohio. It was the second hospital to be built in Lake County and would later be renamed Lake West Hospital.
In 1984 the Lake County Commissioners and hospital trustees agreed to change the system to a private, not-for-profit entity called Lake Hospital System. Four years later, in 1988, Lake Hospital System partnered with University Hospitals to introduce the Lake/University Ireland Cancer Center. This was the first partnership between the two entities.
In 2009 Lake Hospital System changed its name to Lake Health- a change that emphasized the shift from sick care to a focus on lifelong health and wellness.
On April 16, 2021, Lake Health joined University Hospitals.