Inpatient Psychiatry Referrals
How to Make a Referral for Inpatient Psychiatry Admission from an Inpatient Medical Unit
Referring physicians can follow the instructions outlined below to refer a patient for psychiatric admission:
- If at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, contact the Psychiatry Consultation-Liaison (CL) service via pager at 30164 to request a consult. If at another UH system hospital, contact the covering psychiatrist to request a consult (call operator if needed).
- Psych CL team should confirm that the patient requires inpatient psychiatry admission.
- Verify that the patient is medically cleared and document that the patient is “medically cleared.” This means that the patient does not need to be in a medical hospital for acute medical/surgical reasons.
- If the patient is eligible to be transferred to the medical/psychiatric unit, the Consult Liaison team will initiate the transfer with the medical team (UH Cleveland Medical Center only).
- Contact the Emergency Psychiatry Access Team (EPAT) via pager at 36311 or call 216-983-4899 to make a referral. Provide patient’s name, medical record number and a brief description of his or her psychiatric symptoms.
- Ensure that there is a legal status for the patient – either a voluntary form signed by the patient or an application for emergency admission (located in UH Care) is properly filled out and signed by a physician.
- EPAT will remain in contact with the primary team regarding placement. Once EPAT confirms inpatient psychiatric bed availability at a specific location, unit personnel should call the accepting hospital and arrange for transportation.
- Prior to discharge, the patient must have a discharge order entered in UH Care.
How to make a Referral for Inpatient Psychiatric Admission from a Provider Office
- Transfer the Patient to the nearest UH ED via ambulance. Do not allow the patient to transfer via personal vehicle.
- Notify the receiving ED of the patient's arrival.
- Notify EPAT (216-983-4899) for assistance in facilitating the admission.