Please Be Aware of Revised Pre-Operative / Pre-Procedural COVID-19 Testing Guidelines
August 25, 2021
Requirements not already in place went into effect Monday, Aug. 23
UH Clinical Update | September 2021
Please note - Links below require a connection to the UH network.
The Surgical and Procedure COVID-19 Test Risk Stratification policy explains in more detail, but at a high level, these are the updates to the policy:
- COVID-19 testing is required for unvaccinated patients prior to all surgeries or procedures where general anesthesia is scheduled to be used (e.g. endoscopy or interventional radiology with general anesthesia).
- COVID-19 testing is required for all patients being admitted or anticipated to be admitted for inpatient care regardless of vaccination status (e.g. scheduled C-sections, surgeries with planned overnight stay).
- For unanticipated admissions, a COVID-19 Screen Asymptomatic test should be collected and ordered STAT. If a positive result will impact final patient room disposition, the patient should be held in the PACU/originating location until the result has returned. Otherwise, the patient can be transitioned to the intended room.
- The guidance document has been modified to include testing of all OB patients for labor and delivery, induction, or cesarean section regardless of vaccination status.
- At this time, we will maintain the differential testing for vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals as detailed in the policy. Data on emerging trends in variants, transmissibility, and breakthrough infection will be monitored, and any changes will be communicated.
- Use of appropriate PPE, environmental controls, and COVID-19 vaccination remain the most effective mechanisms for safety of our caregivers. Refer to the PPE grid for current guidance.
As a reminder, to find and document vaccine status in the patient’s medical record, there are two job aids to guide you:
- Tips for COVID-19 Vaccination Documentation in AEMR UHCare Inpatient
- Viewing and Recording COVID-19 Vaccination Documentation in UHCare Acute and Ambulatory
If the patient’s vaccine status cannot be verified or the patient is unvaccinated, then apply the Surgical and Procedure COVID-19 Test Risk Stratification and follow the pre-operative/pre-procedure COVID-19 testing process that is in place.