- Program Director, UH Cleveland Medical Center, Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University
Akhil Anand, MD is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and is the Program Director of the University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship Program. Dr. Anand is a clinician scholar whose interests include inpatient and outpatient drug detoxification, alcohol-related liver disease, and evidence-based medical education for substance use disorders and co-occurring psychiatric disorders.
Dr. Anand is also the Co-Director of the Cleveland Clinic Multidisciplinary Alcohol Program Clinic and a staff psychiatrist at Cleveland Clinic's Alcohol Drug and Recovery Center and Adult Inpatient Behavioral Health Services.
Dr. Anand completed his psychiatry residency program at MetroHealth Medical System/Case Western Reserve University in 2019 and his Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship at the University of Michigan Health System in 2020.
Dr. Anand is certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Psychiatry and Addiction Psychiatry.
- Weleff J, Anand A, Squeri M, Sieke R, Thompson NR, Barnett BS. An Analysis of Benzodiazepine Prescribing to Primary Care Patients in a Large Healthcare System from 2019-2020. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2023 Mar 20:1-12. doi: 10.1080/02791072.2023.2191610. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36940298.
- Weleff J, Kovacevich A, Burson J, Nero N, Anand A. Clinical Presentations and Treatment of Phenibut Toxicity and Withdrawal: A Systematic Literature Review. J Addict Med. 2023 Feb 3. doi: 10.1097/ADM.0000000000001141. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36745903
- Wainblat E, Weleff J, Anand, A Management of Phenibut Use Disorder and Withdrawal in a Geriatric Patient. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2023 Jan; 31(1): 67-
- Anand A, Hosanagar A. The Addictive Potential and Challenges With Use of the "Herbal Supplement" Kratom: A Case Report and Literature Review. Pain Med. 2022 Jan 3; 23(1):4-9. doi:10.1093/pm/pnab126.
- Anand A, Hosanagar A. Drug Misuse in the Veterinary Setting: an Under-recognized Avenue; Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2021 Jan 6; 23(2):3. doi:10.1007/s11920-020-01214-8.
Certifications & Memberships
- Addiction Psychiatry - American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Psychiatry - American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Fellowship | Addiction Psychiatry
Addiction Psychiatry - University Of Michigan Medical Center/University Of Michigan Health System (2019 - 2020)
Residency | Psychiatry
Psychiatry - Metrohealth Medical Center (2015 - 2019)
Residency | Psychiatry
Psychiatry - Royal College Of Surgeons In Ireland School Of Medicine (2014 - 2015)
University Of Pecs Medical School (2012)
University Hospitals is committed to transparency in our interactions with industry partners, such as pharmaceutical, biotech, or medical device companies. At UH, we disclose practitioner and their family members’ ownership and intellectual property rights that are or in the process of being commercialized. In addition, we disclose payments to employed practitioners of $5,000 or more from companies with which the practitioners interact as part of their professional activities. These practitioner-industry relationships assist in developing new drugs, devices and therapies and in providing medical education aimed at improving quality of care and enhancing clinical outcomes. At the same time, UH understands that these relationships may create a conflict of interest. In providing this information, UH desires to assist patients in talking with their practitioners about industry relationships and how those relationships may impact their medical care.
UH practitioners seek advance approval for certain new industry relationships. In addition, practitioners report their industry relationships and activities, as well as those of their immediate family members, to the UH Office of Outside Interests annually. We review these reports and implement management plans, as appropriate, to address conflicts of interest that may arise in connection with medical research, clinical care and purchasing decisions.
View UH’s policy (PDF) on practitioner-industry relationships.
As of December 31, 2016, Akhil Anand did not disclose any Outside Relationships with Industry.