Women's Mental Health Treatment
Specialized Care for the Behavioral Health Needs of Women
The University Hospitals Department of Psychiatry delivers comprehensive behavioral health care to women across the reproductive lifespan. Working collaboratively with specialists and primary care doctors, we offer a unique and innovative program that is sensitive to the emotional health of women and specializes in managing psychiatric concerns around pregnancy and postpartum care, pregnancy loss, infertility, premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), menopause and female sexual dysfunction.
Outpatient Services for Women's Mental Health
- Preconception evaluation and counseling for women who are considering pregnancy and have concerns about maintaining their emotional wellness or managing their psychiatric medications during this transition.
- Specialty consultation for women who are in established psychiatric care and desire input from one of our specialized psychiatrists on managing their treatment during the pregnancy or postpartum period. After one or two consultation sessions, feedback and recommendations are provided to the patient, her outpatient psychiatrist, and her OB-GYN provider.
- Evaluation and short-term management for women who are seeking ongoing care during pregnancy, the postpartum period or other times of reproductive transition. After a thorough initial evaluation we will provide feedback and work collaboratively to develop a comprehensive treatment plan.
Inpatient Services for Women's Mental Health
- Consultation and liaison services are provided to support our colleagues in Obstetrics and Gynecology to better care for their patients who are admitted to the hospital.
- Maternal mental health program in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit allows us to meet with mothers and fathers of babies in the NICU for psychiatric evaluation and treatment.