What to Expect During Your Visit to UH Geauga Medical Center
From the time a patient is admitted until he or she is discharged, the daily routine varies depending on what brings him or her to University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center.
Once each day, your doctor will meet with you to assess your health, report information, make plans and answer your questions.
RN Care Coordinator Visits
Once each weekday, your RN care coordinator will stop by to discuss your progress and answer questions. Family members are encouraged to participate in these discussions as partners in care.
Patient Care Rounds
Usually once each hour, a nurse or assistant will come into your room to check on you, take vital signs, inquire about your pain, offer assistance, etc.
Promoting a Quiet, Restful Environment
At UH Geauga Medical Center, we are focused on promoting a quiet, restful sleep environment throughout the night. Each evening, “quiet time” will begin at 10 p.m. Lights in the corridors will be dimmed, and your door may be closed at your request. Ear plugs and sleep masks are available from your nurse. Some noises - such as cardiac monitors, IV pumps, call lights and other equipment - are unavoidable in a hospital, but our nurses will make every effort to keep such noises to a minimum. If you are disturbed, please let your nurse know so the situation can be addressed.
The staff at UH Geauga Medical Center offers a variety of services to help make the transition from hospital to home go as smoothly as possible.
Convenient Patient Meals at University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center
At-Your-Request Room Service
Our At-Your-Request Room Service program allows you to choose what you wish to eat, when you wish to eat it (with your doctor’s okay, of course). It’s simple and works like this:
- Place your meal order with our Nutrition Services Department any time between 7 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. (Please let us know if you have any food allergies.) Your order will be verified for special diet restrictions and prepared according to your order.
- Your meal will be delivered within 45 minutes. If you need help setting up your bedside table, opening containers or dining, just ask the Nutrition Services assistant who delivers your meal.
- Meals can be ordered in advance. Just call the room service operator and let us know when you would like your order delivered.
Kosher and gluten-free menus are available too – just ask your nurse or Nutrition Services assistant.
Families are welcome to bring favorite foods from home, which may be stored in a refrigerator on your floor. Please remember to check first with your nurse about dietary restrictions. Always label the food with the patient’s name and date.
At-Your-Request Room Service: 6500, or 440-285-6500 from outside the hospital
Visitors who would like to order a room service meal and eat with a patient can pre-purchase a meal in the Café. The visitor simply asks the cashier for a $5 guest tray ticket and pays by cash or credit card. Be sure to save the receipt! The visitor can then order through the At-Your-Request Room Service line, just as a patient would. When meals are delivered, the receipt is exchanged for the guest tray.
Clinical Nutrition Services
Registered dietitians are available to help patients plan their diets and answer questions about their nutritional needs. Your nurse can contact Nutrition Services on your behalf.
Room Amenities at University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center Provide Convenience and Comfort
University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center staff is dedicated to ensuring a patient’s stay at our hospital is as comfortable as possible.
Your room includes a communication board visible from your bed. Each day, your nursing team will make sure it includes up-to-date information, including the names of your caregivers, messages, important numbers, a care checklist and more.
Skylight TV Service
Our Skylight interactive television system is a free service that allows you to watch cable television and movies on demand, play games and access the Internet, all on the television in your room. The system also provides important patient health education and information about the hospital. Use the Skylight remote control attached to your bed to navigate the system. For instructions and a channel directory, please refer to the guide on your nightstand. To access the Internet, ask your nurse for a wireless keyboard.
Patients have complimentary in-room telephone service with unlimited local calls. Your in-room telephone includes a volume control on the handset.
To call outside the hospital:
- Local calls – Dial 9, then the number
- Long-distance calls – Dial 0 and the operator will assist you. You will be asked if you want to call collect, charge to your home phone or use a prepaid calling card. If you have questions, please ask your nurse. (You will be charged for making long-distance calls.)
To call within the hospital:
- Dial the four-digit phone number (for example, 6000)
UH Geauga Medical Center is pleased to provide free wireless high-speed Internet access for our patients and guests. To connect, please follow these steps:
- Turn on your laptop or other Wi-Fi device with wireless enabled
- Connect to the wireless network “UH_Guest”
- Launch your web browser and go to the website UHhospitals.org
- If you do not see the UH welcome page, you may need to configure the SSID or network name to “UH_Guest”
Limited Internet access is also available via the Skylight television system. To use it, just ask your nurse for a wireless keyboard.
For technical support, please call 1-888-304-9131. (Dial 0 and the operator will assist you with this call.)
Cell phones may be used throughout the hospital. Please respect the privacy and dignity of others.