2018 Annual Report
About UH – 2018 Highlights
- Founded in 1866, not-for-profit entity
- 18 hospitals, including 3 joint ventures
- Largest primary care network in region
- 50+ health centers, freestanding urgent care and convenient care centers, and surgery centers
- 6 facilities providing behavioral, elder, home care, rehabilitation and integrative health services
- Northeast Ohio’s second-largest employer
- 4,000 volunteers
- 2,100+ active clinical research studies including
- 600+ interventional clinical trials under way
- Region’s only freestanding cancer hospital: UH Seidman Cancer Center
- First proton therapy center in Ohio
- Internationally renowned University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital
- 13 clinical care delivery institutes
- Harrington Discovery Institute at University Hospitals in Cleveland, Ohio – part of The Harrington Project for Discovery & Development
National leader in population health management
- One of the largest accountable care organizations in the U.S. (575,000 lives)
- Comprehensive health plan administrator for self-funded employers
- UH once again ranked as a Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report. In the 2018-19 rankings, honors were given to:
- UH Cleveland Medical Center for ranking among the nation’s Top 50 hospitals in 10 specialties
- UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital for ranking as one of the nation’s Best Children’s Hospitals in eight specialties
- UH Ahuja, Elyria, Parma and St. John medical centers as high-performing in several specialties, procedures and conditions.
- For the sixth time, UH was named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies on the basis of its strong culture of compliance and ethics, governance, and commitment to sustainability, corporate responsibility and values-based leadership.
- Forbes named UH Cleveland Medical Center one of the best employers in America for new college graduates.
- UH named a 2018 Top Hospital for Diversity. BlackDoctor.org selected UH for delivering the highest quality care while promoting equity and inclusion in our operations, programs, services and staffing.
- UH named as one of HealthCare’s Most Wired 2018. The College of Healthcare Information Management Executives and Modern Healthcare Custom Media recognized nearly 250 hospitals and health systems nationally for using information technology to improve patient safety and outcomes.
- UH recognized for environmental stewardship. Practice Greenhealth honored UH Cleveland Medical Center, UH Geauga, Parma and St. John medical centers as Partners for Change for their exemplary efforts in promoting sustainability and reducing their environmental impact.
- UH earned a 2018 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical ExcellenceTM. Among 250 hospitals recognized nationally, UH Cleveland Medical Center, UH Elyria and Geauga medical centers, a campus of UH Regional Hospitals, and Southwest General Health Center received acknowledgment from Healthgrades for having the lowest risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates.
- Becker’s Healthcare named UH’s academic medical center one of 100 great hospitals in America in 2018 for excellence in clinical care, patient outcomes, and staff and physician satisfaction.
- UH recognized for innovation. Becker’s Healthcare recognized UH for its dedicated innovation programs, such as Harrington Discovery Institute. UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital was named one of the 20 most innovative children’s hospitals in 2018 by Parents Magazine.