Long Lupron Patient Instructions
Questions about Medications or Instructions
If you have questions, please call us at 216-285-5028, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. If you need assistance over the weekend, call the same number to reach our on-call doctor.
Lupron (leuprolide acetate)
Storage: Store at room temperature.
Special Considerations: Note date that vial is opened- discarded 28 days after puncturing vial.
Dosage and Timing: You will start Lupron at 10 units to be administered every evening. Your nurse will tell you when it is time to decrease your dose to 5 units. Please inject your Lupron between 6 p.m. – midnight.
Supplies: BD microfine 28 gauge x ½” 1mL insulin syringe (has orange cap), alcohol swabs.
- Wash your hands and work on a clean, dry surface.
- Flip off the plastic flip-cap from the vial and wipe the rubber stopper with an alcohol swab.
- Remove wrapper and cap from needle/syringe.
- Pull back the needle/syringe plunger to the 10 unit mark (please note, only air is being drawn into the syringe at this step).
- Push the needle through the rubber stopper into the vial.
- Depress plunger to inject the air into the vial.
- Keeping the needle in the vial, turn the vial upside down, keeping the needle tip below the surface of liquid.
- Slowly pull the plunger back to the 10 unit mark on the insulin syringe, drawing leuprolide into the syringe. If you notice significant size bubbles in the syringe, tap the syringe and the bubbles will rise to the top.
- You are now ready to inject.
- Choose an injection site on your abdomen (see image)
- Clean the area with an alcohol swab and allow to dry.
- Pinch up the skin.
- Insert the needle straight into the skin- do not go in at an angle.
- Push the plunger all the way down, making sure the syringe is empty.
- Continue to inject 10 units every day until instructed otherwise by clinic staff. Once instructed, decrease dosing to 5 units every day and follow the same procedure.