Gonal- F Patient Instructions
Questions about Medications or Instructions
If you have questions, please call us at 216-285-5028, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. If you need assistance over the weekend, call the same number to reach our on-call doctor.
Gonal- F Redi-ject Pen
Storage: Pens that have not been used must remain refrigerated and may be used until the manufacturer’s expiration date. However, once you start using a pan, it must be used within 28 days. Once you start using a pen, you may refrigerate it or it may be left at room temperature.
Special Considerations: Rotate injection sites, this injection can occasionally cause bruising at the injection site- this is normal. Avoid bruised areas when doing future injections until the bruise is healed. If a site becomes tender, red, painful or warm the day after an injection- please contact the fertility clinic.
Dosage and Timing: Pens come in the following sizes: 300 IU, 450 IU, and 900 IU. You may be taking Gonal-F once or twice daily as instructed by the fertility clinic.
Supplies: Gonal-F Redi-ject Pen, Gonal-F needles, alcohol swabs.
- Wash your hands and work on a clean, dry surface.
- Remove the white cap from the Gonal-F Redi-ject pen.
- Clean the rubber stopper on the end of your Gonal-F Redi-ject pen with an alcohol swab.
- Remove the seal from one of the needles and screw it completely onto the clear end of the pen.
- Pull the outer white cap off the needle. There is another safety shield on the needle that is blue- pull that off also. Please be careful not to let the exposed needle touch anything. If it does, recap the needle with only the larger cap, remove and replace with a new needle.
- Dial your dose: turn dial until you reach the correct dose. Your dose should be lined up in the center of the clear window.
- If you accidentally dial too far and go past your dose, turn the dial back to your dose.
- Choose an injection site on your abdomen (see image)
- Clean the area with an alcohol swab and allow to dry.
- When ready to inject: hold the pen with your thumb on the plunger, pinch the skin up, and insert the entire needle straight in, then push down on the plunger using your thumb.
- Wait five seconds before removing the needle from your skin.
- Check the dosage window:
- It should be back to zero.
- If it is not all the way back at zero, you did not get your whole dose because your pen likely ran out of medication, and you will notice the plunger did not go all the way down.
- The number in the window is the dose you still need to receive. Please do the following:
- Place the larger white cap back on the needle and remove the needle by unscrewing it. Discard used needle.
- Grab a brand new Gonal-F Redi-ject pen, clean rubber stopper of a new pen with alcohol swab and put on a new needle. Remove cap and safety shield.
- You are now ready to inject into a new site. Turn the dial until you reach the dose that you still need to receive. Select a new site, clean with alcohol swab, and inject as previously described.
- When you have received your whole dose, remove and discard the needle. Put the white cap on the pen.