2021 Annual Report
To the Community and Report on Philanthropy
Each year our Annual Report showcases many of the remarkable people who comprise UH – our patients, caregivers, donors, volunteers, business partners and community stakeholders. It’s also an opportunity to highlight new initiatives and recent success.
For 155 years, UH has been on a journey to heal, teach and discover. Despite sometimes overwhelming challenges, our list of accomplishments for 2021 is long. A few highlights include:
- More than 200 COVID-19 focused clinical trials and research studies
- Two new Food for Life Market® locations and a new UH Behavioral Health Hub on the Westside to address community needs
- Expansion of services in our East Market through the addition and integration of Lake Health and joint venture with Western Reserve Hospital
- Leading research and product innovation efforts for the Cleveland Innovation District, yielding the creation of 144 new research positions, an $8.3 million investment to expand immunotherapy and research laboratory space, and a $13 million increase in research expenditures
- Largest fundraising year in UH history, surpassing more than $200 million in contributions.
A new strategic plan was developed in 2021 and focuses on unifying our health system as one UH. “As one” means working together to fully leverage the talents and resources we have assembled. In this way, UH will continue to lead in what is most meaningful to our patients and differentiates our health system: personalized, compassionate care, medical discovery and breakthroughs, high-quality, affordable care, and being the hometown team that is solely dedicated to the communities of Northeast Ohio.