Residency Programs Train Future Neuroscience Experts
Residency programs at University Hospitals Neurological Institute offer training in advanced neurological medicine to prepare the next generation of physicians.
We offer residencies for a range of specialties including:
- General neurology
- Neuromuscular medicine
- Vascular neurology
The primary goals of the program are refining clinical judgment and advancing medical professionalism. The main educational tool is exposure to a broad and diverse neurology patient population over the course of three years of supervised patient care.
Residents rotate through two hospitals: University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center and Louis B. Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
The program is comprehensive and offers a variety of advantages to the doctor in training, including:
- A patient population diverse in terms of disease process and socio-economic background
- A strong PGY-3 curriculum focusing on neurological subspecialties, basic neurobiology and pediatric neurology
- A longstanding tradition of commitment to excellence in clinical training
- An academically strong faculty specializing in a diverse range of neurological disciplines, including epilepsy, neuro-ophthalmology, cerebrovascular disease, neurological intensive care, and neuromuscular disease
- A vigorous intellectual environment
Residents derive other benefits in addition to the graded patient care experience, including:
- Access to an extensive program of didactic lectures
- Broad experience in and exposure to neurological subspecialties such as neuro-ophthalmology and neurological intensive care
- Training in the interpretation of neurodiagnostic testing, including EEG, EMG, autonomic testing, transcranial Doppler and diagnostic imaging
- Exposure to the neurobiology foundation of modern neurological practice
All residency programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Visit Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine’s Department of Neurology residency page for more information.