Innovation and Technology
University Hospitals Offers Leading Innovations and Technologies in Neurological Care
At University Hospitals Neurological Institute, we provide patients with the most innovative technologies and effective treatments for neurological conditions. We are the only institute in Ohio, and one of only a few in the country, to offer patients all the following technologies:
- NeuroBlate® System: A revolutionary technology that destroys brain tumors using a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided laser; our institute is one of only a handful in the world that offers NeuroBlate (formerly called AutoLITT).
- CyberKnife®: A painless, noninvasive technique for treating tumors and lesions previously considered untreatable
- Gamma Knife: The most accurate form of stereotactic radiosurgery for the brain; this technology pinpoints one area with numerous radiation beams without damaging surrounding healthy tissue
- Electromyography (EMG) lab: Helps identify causes of numbness, paralysis, muscle weakness or spasm, providing an accurate road map for treatment planning
- Autonomic lab: Tests the performance of nerves traveling from the brain to various major organs, like the heart, stomach and bladder
Play this video to see how a surgical simulator, developed in part by UH neurosurgeons, allows for realistic run-throughs of brain surgeries prior to actual procedures.
A Tradition of Innovation
UH Neurological Institute remains at the leading edge of technology, technique and discovery for the diagnosis and treatment of neurological conditions. We have a proud and rich legacy of developing advanced testing protocols, drug treatments and surgical techniques for our patients. For example:
- First brain surgery aired nationally on live TV on National Geographic Channel, performing deep brain stimulation to reduce symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center is the first hospital in northeast Ohio to achieve The Joint Commission’s standards for Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification, joining an elite group of providers focused on complex stroke care.
- We have one of the nation's largest Brain Attack programs. We use Brain Attack Coalition guidelines to ensure that stroke patients receive a complete spectrum of services.
- We were the first institute in northeast Ohio to offer Botox® injection therapy for a facial movement disorder known as pterygoid muscle dystonia.
- We were the first in the U.S. to perform the epilepsy procedure known as multiple hippocampal transection, which can eliminate or reduce the occurrence and severity of seizures.
- We offer special surgical therapy for various types of dystonia, a disorder that causes involuntary twisting movements and/or abnormal postures. This treatment is only available at a few dozen hospitals nationwide.
- Our stereotactic radiosurgery suite was the first in Ohio to include both Gamma Knife and CyberKnife® technology.
- We pioneered a testing diaphragm pacing stimulation, which can slow the rate of respiratory decline in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- We were the first in North America to offer deep brain stimulation of the thalamus to treat Tourette’s syndrome.
- As a leader in advanced medical education, UH Neurological Institute is one of only 35 institutes in the country offering a medical fellowship in neurocritical care.