Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Helps Patients Breathe Easier
University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute in Cleveland, Ohio, offers a renowned Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program aimed at helping patients to improve breathing and overcome lung disorders.
Our highly trained pulmonary rehabilitation team includes skilled nurses, registered respiratory therapists, exercise physiologists, registered dietitians, pharmacists, pulmonologists and other experts as needed.
Candidates for Pulmonary Rehab
At UH, our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program benefits a variety of patients, including individuals who have been diagnosed with the following:
- Chronic pulmonary disease (asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis and COPD), restrictive lung disease or interstitial disease such as pulmonary fibrosis and sarcoidosis
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Lung conditions such as lung cancer, primary pulmonary hypertension and obesity-related respiratory disease
In addition, patients who have undergone pre- and post-lung volume reduction surgery and thoracic surgery or have undergone lung transplantation may benefit from our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program.
Multifaceted Approach Encourages Healing
Offered in conjunction with our Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine Division at University Hospitals Case Medical Center, the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program consists of:
- Therapeutic exercise
- Individual/group education
- Counseling and psychosocial interventions
Advantages of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Pulmonary rehabilitation at UH offers many positive benefits, including:
- Relief of respiratory symptoms (shortness of breath, dyspnea and fatigue)
- Reducing the fear and anxiety associated with chronic pulmonary diseases
- Increasing exercise capacity, stamina and the ability to perform daily activities
- Promoting an increased awareness of pulmonary disease and its management
- Improving respiratory hygiene to reduce infections
- Enhancing quality of life
Support Group Encourages Healthy Lifestyle
The Pulmonary Support Group, in conjunction with the American Lung Association Better Breathers Club, encourages patients to continue maintaining a healthy lifestyle. During group meetings, patients learn about their condition, receive emotional support and acquire coping strategies. Patients may continue to participate in this support group throughout phase three of their pulmonary rehabilitation.
We accept most major insurance plans and will check your insurance coverage prior to starting a program. You must have a physician referral to enroll in a program.
For more information, please contact us by phone at 1-866-UH4-CARE or
by email at PulmonaryRehabilitation2@UHhospitals.org.