Born as Maternity Hospital of Cleveland in 1891, University Hospitals MacDonald Women’s Hospital started humbly with just six beds. Our presence in the area has consistently grown throughout the years. Today, UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital (named for an early hospital superintendent who focused on the education of obstetrical nurses) stands for excellence in research, medicine and care.
Long considered a leader in obstetrics and gynecology, UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital gradually added more services to become a comprehensive center for women’s health.
Even in its earliest phases of growth, research was a driving force for the Obstetrics and Gynecology Departments of University Hospitals.
UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital’s time-honored partnership with Case Western Reserve University has made us a world leader in research regarding women’s health since the 1950s.
Groundbreaking discoveries and treatments occur regularly here and are incorporated into our care.