University Hospitals Conneaut Medical Center has been a part of the Conneaut Community since 1922.
The Brown Family Mansion
Brown Mansion, 1919
The first hospital was established in 1896 by Dr. Cole and was located in part of his home at 313 Main St. It closed in 1920 after his death. The second hospital was General Hospital located on Harbor Street, which opened in1898. It included a nursing school, however it closed in 1904 because of emerging regulations. Grace Hospital was founded in 1903 by nurses Susie Simmond and Ann Arthur. The medical staff was headed by Dr. Upson. It opened with five patient rooms on the second floor of the building located at the corner of Main and Washington Streets. Once the decision was made to open a new hospital, it took the ladies one month to make repairs to the rooms and find furnishings which were mostly donated used items from the community. Linens were purchased from Peltons. Grace Hospital moved to a house at the comer of Harbor and 15th Streets in 1905. It remained open until 1922 when their equipment was donated to Brown Memorial Hospital.
The hospital was named for the John and Arethusa (Hosford) Brown Family. John had move to Conneaut from Vermont in 1819. The hospital is located on land that John purchased in 1822. At that time it consisted of 120 acres and became a working farm. The family mansion was donated for use as a hospital in 1919 after the death of George Morton Brown. G. Morton was shot during a robbery in the home and died a few days later.
Brown Mansion, 1922
On November 25, 1919, the community held a "Help the Hospital" day and raised $40,000 to make the necessary changes to the building. The front porch was enclosed and a second story was added above the porch. An emergency room and surgery rooms were in the addition added to the back of the building. The farm buildings were maintained and in deed, until the early 1960s, hospital staff and volunteers continued to raise and preserve food for the hospital. The milk house was eventually converted to a home for the nurses and renamed "The Chateau." The Tower House replaced this building in 1940. Money for the building was donated by Dr. Tower, and it is located at the west end of the current building. It has been used as office space but is currently used only for storage.
The next major change was in 1949 when construction started on the east west wing. At that time the first floor provided private and double patient rooms as well as four bed wards for medical/surgical patients. Two operating rooms were located at the east end of the hall. The obstetrics department was located on the second floor of the new wing. The second floor of the Brown home continued to serve as patient rooms while the first floor was converted to offices. In 1959, a solarium was added to the west end of the new wing. This provided a place for patients to watch TV, read a book or just enjoy the company of other patients or visitors. At the same time, a tunnel was constructed under the solarium to connect the east west wing with the Tower House. The tunnel also housed the laundry department. The solarium has been remodeled and since 1980, serves as the Board Room. The focal point of the Board Room was a mural that depicts the history of both the hospital and Conneaut. This was removed and saved for future use when the room was again remodeled in 2006. While it still serves as a Board Room, it now also serves as a multi media room for doctors and other hospital administrators to observe surgery being done in the O.R. Suite.
The Ohio Bone & Joint Institute
UH Conneaut Medical Center, 1968
Monies donated by Edward and Dorothy Malek were used to construct the Malek Wing in 1966. The first floor of the wing housed a new emergency department, radiology department, laundry and housekeeping facilities, a meeting room and boiler room. The second floor was used for medical/surgical patients who were progressing in their treatment and required less nursing care. It boasted a new solarium where patients could eat together or read books from the library provided. In 1991 the second floor of the Malek Wing became the home of "Precious Beginnings" Maternity Unit. The OB unit was closed in Dec. 2004 when OB services were discontinued due to compliance with state regulations and patient safety issues. In March of 2005 the former OB unit was reopened as the "Ohio Bone and Joint Institute" under the directorship of Dr. William Seeds. This unit offers state-of-the-art joint replacements and other orthopedic services.
State-of-the-Art Surgical Facility
The Astatic Annex was opened in 1970. This is located at the east end of the building and provided a much needed Intensive Care Unit as well as an expanded surgical suite. The first floor of the addition houses the employee cafeteria and expanded kitchen. The café was completely remodeled in 2007.
Groundbreaking began in 1977 for the addition that currently houses the Laboratory and Emergency Department (which was remodeled in 2002) on the ground floor. The Special Procedures Unit (SPU) is located on the second floor. SPU staff provides care for patients having same day surgery and a variety of diagnostic tests. Our Medical/Surgical Unit is located on the third floor of this building. The original Brown mansion was razed during the addition to meet State fire safety codes. A new front entrance was constructed. The original patient rooms on the first floor of the east west wing were converted to offices and the second floor now houses Physical Therapy, Community Outreach and Coding offices and an Education Room.
In 1983, the hospital acquired the Dorothy Malek Annex on Parrish Rd. Dorothy and Ed Malek were two of the generous benefactors of the hospital. The building is now owned by the Conneaut Community Foundation.
In 1997, Brown Memorial Hospital affiliated with the University Hospitals Health System. Soon after, construction was begun on a new main entrance. This entrance is much closer to the parking lot and more convenient for our patients. The outpatient registration desk was moved from the Emergency Department to this new area. This change improved the registration process in both areas. A larger gift shop is also included in the area.
The chapel was located next to the ICU waiting room on the second floor and was moved to the first floor, across from the elevators in the spring of 2003. This larger, more private area provides easy access to patient families who have a loved one in the ED or any department of the hospital. The relocation and beautiful decorations were made possible by a gift from the BMH volunteer organizations.
The laundry room was converted in 2007 to the William H. Brown Community Room, used for the hospital's paramedic program and other classes and community outreach programs.
Critical Access Facility
In 2002, we became designated a Critical Care Access Hospital by US Dept. of Health and Human Services. This limits us to 25 inpatients at any one time. This is possible because of the amount of procedures now done on an out patient basis. This status improves our reimbursements from Medicare and Medicaid and improves our financial status.
As the years pass and medicine improves, UH Conneaut Medical Center has purchased new equipment and educated our staff in new treatments. One of the well used services is the outpatient cardiac rehabilitation department. We also boast the most modern CT scanner and nuclear medicine equipment.
UH Conneaut Medical Center is proud to maintain its status as a Joint Commission approved facility. We work hard to excel at the standards set for excellent patient care.
UH Conneaut Medical Center is committed to its communities. Throughout the many changes that have taken place since 1922, the people have supported it through their financial donations and by serving in many volunteer capacities. We are known for our personal, hometown care and are proud to offer quality medical care to our community.