The Harrington Discovery Institute (HDI) is seeking a Project Manager to help advance its portfolio of novel drug discovery projects. HDI is the nonprofit arm of The Harrington Project for Discovery & Development, a national initiative supporting breakthrough research by physician-scientists nationwide and in the UK. As part of University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, HDI is located on a 35-acre campus in Cleveland’s University Circle. This is an opportunity to be part of a new and powerful approach to address the challenges of advancing academic discoveries into approved new medicines.
The Project Manager serves as a key member of the Innovation Support Center (ISC) team within Harrington Discovery Institute (HDI), supporting the development and implementation of drug discovery project plans for HDI scholars, and helping the scholar project teams achieve their objectives. The role offers opportunities to shape and run ISC program initiatives as well as to perform research and analyses on program success and trends, the drug development landscape, scholar progress and other HDI program support as needed.
- Plan, attend and support HDI scholar project team meetings – includes occasional travel to scholar institutions with Director and panel members of ISC
- Track scholar project progress, develop and implement tools for representing progress as part of the Harrington Scholar Innovator portfolio
- Liaise with representatives from HDI strategic partnership organizations such as Foundation Fighting Blindness, Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation; research and track new scientific discovery progress in their disease areas
- Support the Harrington Scholar Alumni Program and associated ongoing outreach to prior classes of Harrington Scholars
- Develop materials for the Harrington Discovery Institute including business documents, charts/analysis, and Web updates
- Required: Science or Life Science MS or PhD degree
- Preferred but not required: Project management training or certification such as PMP
The successful candidate will have both training and experience using standard project management tools such as Gantt charts and Work Breakdown Structure documents in the drug discovery or a related field. The role will involve helping HDI grant recipients to develop project plans based on their research, project meeting coordination and project tracking. Candidate should have a working knowledge of several subspecialties of the drug discovery field, such as; target validation, assay development, compound screening, medicinal chemistry, pre-clinical studies, etc. The ideal candidate will have a PhD Degree in Life Sciences or Chemistry with 5 or more years of hands-on project management experience in a commercial drug discovery environment; such experience might be in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology company. Project management training or certification such as PMP is highly desirable.
Ability to conduct on-line research using PubMed, clintrials.gov and other public databases to learn about new therapies in development for various disease areas; proficiency in MS Project and MSOffice applications including PowerPoint, Excel and Word. Access or other database proficiency a plus. Teams in this national program conduct meetings primarily by teleconference, therefore a high proficiency in both written and verbal communication skills are critical.
- MS or PhD in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physiology, or similar
- PMP certification
- Experience in drug discovery/development in an industry setting
Job ID: 18000AXU