Minority Faculty Career Development Award
The UH Minority Faculty Career Development Award provides research funding to early-career faculty underrepresented in the field of medicine (URiM) working to develop independent research projects. Sponsored by the Office of Community Impact, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (CEDI), this award aims to provide URiM investigators who are early in their careers with an opportunity for career advancement.
Up to two (2) awards, each at a maximum of $25,000 per year for up to three years, will be awarded to junior investigators (Instructor and Assistant Professor) with five years of initial faculty appointment. We encourage faculty to consider projects related to health disparities, but it's not required.
Funds can only be used for research personnel, supplies, publication costs, or domestic travel to an invited meeting to present funded work. No salary support for PI will be allowable. In alignment with the organization's academic mission, it is recommended and required that applicants secure a commitment from their Department/Institute/Center Chair for protected research time.
A mentorship team with a designated primary mentor must be formed. We encourage you to choose a primary mentor familiar with the proposed research area and has demonstrated success in mentoring early-career investigators.
From the Applicants
- Cover page (Title/Project Sites/Names and affiliation of PI and mentor)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Strategy (2 page total limit) including:
- Background and significance
- Specific aims
- Study design and methods, including preliminary studies if applicable
- Project timeline and milestone
- Budget and justification
- Personal Statement (1 page total limit)
- Overview of research training and experience
- Statement of short-term and long-term career goals
- Career development plan
- How will the grant funding contribute to the achievement of professional objectives
From the Mentor
- Biographical sketch in NIH format
- Letter of support
From the Division or Department
Letter of Commitment from the Chairperson committing minimum 10% protected research time for the awardee
Application should be emailed as single PDF to UH R&E by 11:59 p.m. on April 30, 2021.
- Application Opens: January 5, 2021
- Application Due: April 30, 2021
- Notice of Award: Mid-June, 2021
- Award Start Date: July 1, 2021