Breast Imaging Fellowship
The Breast Imaging Division at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, in collaboration with Case Western Reserve University, offers two positions annually for a one-year comprehensive breast imaging fellowship according to the guidelines and curriculum recommended by the Society of Breast Imaging (SBI).
The Breen Breast Health Pavilion is a state-of-the-art breast center. All of our breast centers maintain the status of Breast Imaging Center of Excellence based on our recent American College of Radiology (ACR) accreditation. We also have ACR accreditation for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for the sites that perform breast MRI at University Hospitals. We have excellent support staff, including a clinical nurse navigator at most sites.
Breast Imaging Examinations
Most of our breast imaging exams are performed between five main breast centers staffed by eight dedicated subspecialty trained breast imaging radiologists. We perform the whole gamut of breast imaging exams, including:
- Full protocol MRIs and abbreviated protocol MRIs aka FAST MRIs (over 800/year)
- Interventional procedures (over 3,000/year)
- Magseed and wire localizations
- MRI core biopsies
- Needle localizations
- Screening and diagnostic mammography (over 64,000/year)
- Stereotactic core biopsies (prone, upright, and including lateral arm capability)
- Ultrasound (over 8,000/year)
- Ultrasound core biopsies
- Ultrasound/stereotactic (prone and upright)/MRI vacuum-assisted biopsies
Current Technology Overview
Our breast centers are equipped with the most advanced technology available, including:
- Elite and Marquee biopsy devices for ultrasound biopsies
- Four stereotactic biopsy units (three prone and one upright with lateral arm capability)
- Hologic Dimensions mammography units at five breast centers (tomosynthesis with C-view available at all five breast centers)
- MRIs done on 1.5 and 3.0T Siemens, Philips, and GE magnets
- Seven Supersonic ultrasound units
- Suros Atec biopsy devices for use in MRI, stereotactic and ultrasound biopsies
Tumor Boards and Conferences Training
Fellows are actively involved in the interpretation of examinations, performance of procedures and consultation with referring physicians. There is one weekly, multidisciplinary tumor board conference attended by the fellows and a faculty member. Other conferences include the monthly radiology-pathology conference, monthly journal club and weekly resident conferences.
As a breast imaging fellow, dedicated research time is negotiable, and there is access to Case Center for Imaging Research (CCIR), which is a joint venture between Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and UH Cleveland Medical Center. There is funding available for educational meetings/conferences.
The ultimate goal is for the mammography fellows to assume the role of primary imager with the faculty person as a supervisor. The breast imaging division has a strong interest in resident and fellow education and clinical research is encouraged.
On-call weekend responsibilities exist and vary yearly depending on the needs of the department.
Eligibility for Fellowship
We are participating in the Breast Imaging Fellowship Match which will take place in June 2019 for the 2020-2021 appointment year. The match is sponsored by the Society of Breast Imaging, and it will be managed by the National Resident Matching Program.
- An Ohio State Medical License is required before the start of the fellowship
- Applicants must participate in the SBI Fellowship Match Program
- Candidates must be board-eligible or board-certified in radiology before the start of the fellowship
- Candidates should have completed their residency in the U.S.
Schedule for Interviews, Match and Training
- Interview period begins January 1, 2019
- March 20, 2019: Registration opens
- April 24, 2019: Ranking opens
- May 15, 2019: Quota change deadline
- May 29, 2019: Ranking Closes
- June 12, 2019: Match Day
- July 1, 2020: Training begins
Additional Required Application Items
- Personal statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two to three current letters of recommendation (prefer that at least one should be from a breast imager and at least one should be from residency program director)
- Photocopies of original examination results (USMLE Step one, two, three and all Radiology board exams) with dates and photocopies of board certifications (if applicable)
- Copies of any research or publications
- Recent photograph
- Photocopies of visa/citizenship papers if applicable
Please email all required documents to Cecilia Foreman and Ramya Pham, MD. Alternatively, documents may be sent by regular mail to the address below. Once the application packet is complete, we will contact you directly about arranging an interview.
Current Breast Fellows
Life in Cleveland Has So Much to Offer
Whether you are interested in exploring the rich cultural history of its neighborhoods or eating at one of its many award-winning eateries, Cleveland has something for everyone.