Psychiatry Clerkship UH Cleveland Medical Center
The Psychiatry Clerkship at University Hospitals, in collaboration with Case Western Reserve University, is performed during the third year and is designated as part of Case Western Reserve University SOM Core 3. Students include Case Western Reserve University SOM MSIII students and LECOM MSIII students.
Psychiatry Clerkship Duration
The duration of the Psychiatry Clerkship is four weeks total, including:
- Two weeks on inpatient psychiatry at University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center
- Two weeks on inpatient consultation-liaison service at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
Psychiatry Clerkship Call Responsibilities
- On-call duties include one evening of call (5 p.m. -10 p.m.) during each inpatient week; therefore, two total calls total during clerkship.
- One weekend day of rounding during inpatient time (usually Saturday; day negotiable based on student needs)
Orientation day includes a full day of orientation information and lectures including Psychopharmacology, Mental Status Exam, Note Writing, Anxiety, Suicide and Violence Risk Assessment.
Friday Learning Experiences
Friday learning sessions are scheduled from 8 a.m. to Noon including Grand Rounds at 11:00 a.m. Topics range across many areas of psychiatry, including:
- Chronic pain (videotaped lecture)
- Dementia and delirium
- Mood disorders
- Personality disorders
- Psychotic disorders
- Substance use disorders
Unique Experiences Available
- Case Conference: One presentation by each student, done with CL attending physicians; 30-40 minutes in duration
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (CT) Observation: One morning of observation, while on inpatient service
- Inpatient Child Psychiatry Observation: One morning of observation
- Resident Liaison: Senior resident available for medical student teaching, feedback, support and ensuring that other members of residency know student learning objectives/requirements