Specialized Care for the Reproductive Behavioral Health Needs of Women
The University Hospitals Department of Psychiatry delivers comprehensive behavioral health care services to women across their reproductive lifespan.
Working collaboratively with specialists and primary care doctors, we offer a unique and innovative program that is sensitive to the psychological health of women and specializes in managing psychiatric concerns around pregnancy and postpartum care, pregnancy loss, infertility, premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), menopause, female sexual dysfunction and gender affirmation procedures.
Your Behavioral Health is Important. Don’t Delay Care.If you are experiencing behavioral problems related to your
reproductive health, we can help. Call 216-844-5086 to
schedule an in-person or virtual appointment with a women’s mental health expert.
Specialized Programs for Personalized Care
We offer a wide variety of programs and specialty services for women in need of treatment for behavioral health issues related to reproduction, fertility and menopause.
Our programs provide various levels of care depending on the patients’ needs. Levels of care include individual outpatient programs, family therapies, intensive outpatient programs and partial hospitalization programs. Patients and families work with our professional treatment teams to identify problems and formulate individualized treatment plans for each level of care.
Outpatient Services for Women's Reproductive Behavioral Health
- Preconception evaluation and counseling for women who are considering pregnancy and have concerns about maintaining their psychological wellness or managing their psychiatric medications during this transition.
- Specialty consultation for women who are in established psychiatric care and desire input from one of our specialized psychiatrists on managing their treatment during the pregnancy or postpartum period. After one or two consultation sessions, feedback and recommendations are provided to the patient, her outpatient psychiatrist, and her OB-GYN provider.
- Evaluation and short-term management for women who are seeking ongoing care during pregnancy, the postpartum period or other times of reproductive transition. After a thorough initial evaluation we will provide feedback and work collaboratively to develop a comprehensive treatment plan.
Inpatient Services for Women's Reproductive Behavioral Health
- Consultation and liaison services are provided to support our colleagues in Obstetrics and Gynecology to better care for their patients who are admitted to the hospital.
- Maternal mental health program in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit allows us to meet with mothers and fathers of babies in the NICU for psychiatric evaluation and treatment.