Acupuncture at UH Seidman Cancer Center
Frequently asked questions:
- What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a practice where a practitioner stimulates certain points on the body by placing thin needles in the skin. It can help with certain symptoms caused by cancer and treatments.
- What happens during my treatment?
The practitioner reviews your health history, asks you questions and does a quick physical exam. They can answer any of your questions.
You may have to remove items of clothing depending on where the needles are placed.
You may sit or lay on a soft table either on your side, stomach or back.
Your family or friend may stay in the room with you during treatment if you choose.
- What do I do when needles are in place?
The needles stay in your skin for about 15-30 minutes.
During this time you can just rest and relax. The needles are thin and flexible, so you are able to move if needed.
- What happens after my treatment?
After the session is done, the practitioner removes the needles from your skin. Even though the needles are not in place, the treatment continues to work.
You may feel relief from your symptoms within a few hours or days. Some symptoms may take a few treatments before they feel better.
The practitioner talks about a treatment schedule with you. This may include weekly or monthly treatments.
- Should I do anything special after treatment?
- Try to relax for the rest of the day after treatment.
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- It is okay to go to work or school.
- What should I eat or drink after treatment?
- Drink fluids to keep hydrated.
- Try to avoid: alcohol, greasy, fried foods, overeating, cold foods and cold drinks with ice.
- Why do I need to have more than 1 treatment?
It may take more than one treatment to treat certain problems. It is important to complete the treatments as the practitioner and doctor recommend in order to get the best results.
- Who do I call if I have any questions or problems after acupuncture?
Call your cancer doctor’s office or UH Seidman Cancer Center at 216-844-3951.