University Hospitals Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Center Accepts Patient Referrals
University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute’s Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Center in Cleveland, Ohio, accepts referrals for patients with heart failure or other chronic heart problems.
To refer a patient for an appointment, call us direct at 216-844-3800 or call University Hospitals 24-Hour Rapid Referral line at 1-866-UH4-CARE (1-866-844-2273). The rapid access system at UH allows you to refer a patient and receive an appointment within 24 hours with one of our highly skilled heart failure specialists.
UH Transfer Referral Center Expedites Patient Transfers
- Basic or Advanced Life Support (ALS) transports
- Ground and air medical evacuation
- Critical care transports
General Referral Guidelines
Patients with the following cardiovascular conditions should be considered for referral to the Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Center at UH Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute:
- NYHA Class III or IV (despite medical/device therapy)
- Worsening renal function
- Frequent rehospitalization for heart failure exacerbations
- Intolerance to standard heart failure medications
What Patients Can Expect
Patients seen in University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute’s Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Center can expect:
- A complete physical assessment by a heart failure specialist
- Individualized care plan developed by the heart failure team and the patient
- Intensive education on how patient can help manage their heart failure
- Diet review and instruction on how to follow a low sodium diet
- Exercise testing and risk stratification
- Exercise training instruction and guidance
- Complete medication review and teaching about how to properly take medicines, monitoring for possible side effects and possible medication interactions
- Help with financial application for medication assistance programs patient might qualify for
- Assistance with the disability application if patient needs this
- Opportunity to participate in cutting-edge projects and research trials which may lead to future changes in the way heart failure patients are cared for
- Heart transplant and assist device evaluation
University Hospitals Physician Advice Line
Nationally recognized physicians and surgeons at UH Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute are available for consultation or for immediate decision-making advice.
University Hospitals Physician Advice Line is available at 216-844-1001.