Heart Surgery Center at University Hospitals Offers Expert, Lifesaving Treatment
The Heart Surgery Center at University Hospitals Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute in Cleveland, Ohio, has a lengthy history of providing the highest level of medical care available to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the heart, heart valves, coronary arteries, carotid arteries, aorta and great vessels.
We know that facing heart surgery is overwhelming to many patients and their families. That is why our highly skilled specialists collaborate on each patient’s case and combine traditional procedures with the latest advances in medicine and surgery to customize individualized treatment of complex valvular and coronary artery disease.
We emphasize doing the right procedure for the patient at the right time, making the care the patient receives individualized to his or her specific needs, with the goal of improving the patient’s quality of life.
Our award-winning surgeons are leaders in conventional and leading-edge cardiac procedures that improve quality of life for patients.
Advanced Heart Surgery Treatments for Complex Cases
The Heart Surgery Center at UH Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute currently offers the full range of cardiac surgery procedures, including :
- Aggressive pursuit of mitral valve repair for mitral regurgitation (leaking)
- Aortic dissection repair
- Aortic valve surgery with use of stentless aortic valve prosthesis
- Ascending aorta and arch aneurysm repair (thoracic aorta)
- Beating heart surgery without the use of the heart-lung machine
- Heart or lung transplantation
- Congenital heart surgery
- Endograft procedures for aortic aneurysms
- Endoscopic techniques for harvesting veins/arteries for coronary bypass surgery
- Intraoperative ablations for atrial fibrillation
- On- and off-pump (heart/lung machine)
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Transmyocardial laser revascularization (TMR)
- Ventricular assist device (VAD) implantation
Surgeons at the Heart Surgery Center specialize in complex, multi-procedure open heart surgery (i.e., multi-valve, valve and coronary bypass), hybrid procedures, such as coronary stenting (PCI) combined with valve surgery, and mechanical assist device procedures.
We have special expertise in treating patients who are elderly or in class IV congestive heart failure, or those who require multiple complex procedures or re-operation.
Multidisciplinary Approach for Optimal Results
To ensure the most successful outcome, our skilled heart surgery team is comprised of experts from many medical disciplines, including:
- Cardiac surgeons
- Cardiologists and interventional cardiologists
- Cardiothoracic surgeons
- Cardiac anesthesiologists
- Cardiac intensivists
- Cardiac imaging radiologists
- Advanced heart failure specialists
- Nurses and nurse practitioners specially trained in cardiothoracic surgery
- Vascular surgeons
- Other clinical and nonclinical support staff with specific experience in cardiac surgery care
Innovation and New Medical Discoveries
Innovation is at the core of patient care at UH Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute Heart Surgery Center. Our patients benefit from this resourceful approach that supports enduring medical discoveries for improved surgical techniques.
Our physician-investigators focus on ongoing clinical research as they translate medical discoveries into successful action steps for improved patient care.