Mental Health Program
The Mental Health Program at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital is a specialty track for pediatric residents interested in receiving enhanced training in mental health issues. Mental health is a common issue in pediatrics and our pediatricians and specialists need to be equipped with the knowledge and tools to be able to identify, assess, triage and treat patients with these issues.
Goals of the mental health program include:
- Increased comfort level in diagnosis and management of common mental health issues
- Increased exposure and practice in the use of treatment options for common mental health issues
- Better understanding of interdisciplinary care (psychology, social work, community mental health)
- Gain experience in the use of psychotropic medications for treatment
- Enhanced interviewing skills to obtain mental health history in a variety of settings (inpatient and outpatient)
- Collaboration with associated specialties to provide the clinical, educational and research needs of participants
- Demystify diagnosis and treatment of mental health as different from other pediatric illnesses
Residents participating in the mental health track are encouraged to participate in the following activities:
- During intern year, complete an elective in psychiatry to gain exposure to mental health issues and how to obtain a focused history in mental health
- Optional continuity clinic in psychiatry is offered during the third year of residency to gain experience in the use of psychopharmacology during mental health visits
- Book/movie club is held throughout the year with faculty participation
- Lectures are given throughout the residency training focused on mental health topics
- Independent learning activities are available online
- Residents complete a research project in collaboration with faculty members matched based on their particular project and interests.
Interested residents are invited to apply to the program during the beginning of intern year. Graduates of the Mental Health Program receive a Certificate of Excellence in Mental Health during our annual resident graduation celebration.