Offering Comprehensive, Compassionate Care for Children and Adults with Cystic Fibrosis
When hospitalization is required for cystic fibrosis patients, pediatric patients are admitted at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital in a hospital unit dedicated to the care of pediatric pulmonary patients. Adult patients are admitted to a 10-bed unit devoted exclusively to the care of patients with cystic fibrosis over age 18, also housed at UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital.
The adult unit has age-appropriate accommodations and activities for patients with all stages of disease. Cystic fibrosis patients are placed in private rooms and the infection control precautions recommended by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation are strictly followed. We continue to hospitalize patients with any species of the Burkholderia cepacia complex, as well as Burkholderia gladioli, on separate floors.
Services We Offer
University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, which includes UH Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, has state-of-the-art facilities to provide the necessary support for the care of cystic fibrosis patients. These include:
- Full laboratory services specialized for providing care for people with cystic fibrosis, including microbiology, biochemistry, hematology, and immunology
- Sweat testing services with a dedicated staff of technicians
- Radiology services, including bronchial artery embolization and difficult PICC line placement
- Pulmonary function laboratory, with six technicians providing testing for all cystic fibrosis patients
- An infant pulmonary function laboratory
- A specialized nasal laboratory for measurements of nasal potential difference and nasal epithelial cell acquisition, exhaled nitric oxide measurements, multiple breath washout
- Endoscopy facilities offering both bronchoscopy and GI endoscopy
Our Genetics Center performs genetic carrier and prenatal testing (chorionic villus sampling and amniocentesis), and genetic counseling. The Genetics Center plays an active role in the Cystic Fibrosis Newborn Screening Clinic, as well as aiding in the diagnosis of adults.
To transfer a patient with cystic fibrosis to our inpatient facility, call the transfer line at 216-844-1111.