The day of the test, you will be asked several questions regarding your medical history and you will be asked to sign a consent form for us to perform the test.
Upper GI/Barium Swallow/Small Bowel Follow-through (SBFT)
- Supper at scheduled hour the night before your appointment.
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before and until the exam is completed (NPO).
- Any medications can be taken with limited sips of water.
- Important: following the exam, it is essential to drink a lot of fluids to clean the barium out of your system.
IVP (Intravenous Pyelogram)
Follow the instructions contained in the Fleets Kit given to you by our Radiology Department. Preparation begins at breakfast, the morning before the exam is scheduled. Please follow the preparation fully so that you are properly prepped for the examination. Certain blood tests may be required for us to perform this test. If lab work is necessary, you will be informed of the need when scheduling your test.
Barium Enema or Barium Enema with Air Contrast
Purchase these over the counter laxatives:
1. Clear liquid of your choice – 64 ounces needed
2. DULCOLAX – 5 mg tablets, you will need 4 of them. 3. MIRALAX BOTTLE 238 GRAMS (over the counter only)
One Day Prior to the Procedure:
- CLEAR LIQUIDS ONLY – Drink only clear liquids all day, absolutely no solid food.
Examples of clear liquids: Gatorade, water, clear fruit juice such as apple or white grape. Chicken or beef bouillon. Jello – no red or purple. Popsicles – no red or purple. Clear soft drinks. Coffee without cream or sugar. NO MILK OR MILK PRODUCTS. NO ORANGE JUICE. NO RED OR PURPLE JELLO OR JUICES.
- Start at noon. – take two Dulcolax tablets.
- 2 p.m. – mix the entire bottle of Miralax into the 64 oz. of clear liquid. Shake until dissolved. Drink 8 oz. glass every ½ hour until solution is gone.
- 4 p.m. – Take the last two Dulcolax tablets.
NOTHING BY MOUTH AFTER MIDNIGHT.
Bone Density (Also Known as DEXA Scan)
- Wear comfortable clothing, preferably pants with an elastic waist band.
- If you have had barium X-rays, dye or nuclear medicine, wait seven days before scheduling this test.
- Wear a two-piece outfit, as you will need to remove only clothes from the waist up.
- Do not wear deodorant, perfumes or powder under the arms, on or near the breasts.
- If you have had any previous mammograms elsewhere, please make arrangements to bring the films with you or have them mailed to our facility prior to your appointment.
*Evening and weekend scheduling available for mammograms.