Learn How to Update Your Health Information

HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) gives patients the right to request an amendment of their medical record. If you believe that your medical record contains inaccurate or incomplete information, you may request that University Hospitals amend it.

You may submit a request for amendment by completing and sending the Amendment Request form to the UH Privacy Officer. Be sure to identify the record that needs amending. UH will explain to you in writing what steps UH took to address your request.

In the event that UH decides it is not appropriate to change your record, you have the right to submit a statement of disagreement to be included in your medical record. Instead of submitting a statement of disagreement, you may request that UH provide your amendment request and UH’s denial with any future disclosures of the medical information at issue.

UH must act upon your request within 60 days, or give you a written notice explaining why extra time is needed to act upon your request. That notice must tell you the date UH will complete the request, in no case exceeding 90 days.

If you need assistance requesting an amendment of your medical records, you may contact the UH Privacy Officer by calling 216-286-6362; or emailing Compliance@UHhospitals.org.

Back to Top