Keming Gao, MD, PhD
Keming Gao, MD, PhD
Professor of Psychiatry
Co-Director, Bipolar Disorder Research Center
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Director, Mood & Anxiety Clinic
Clinical Director, Mood Disorders Program
Medical Director, Electroconvulsive Therapy
University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
Multi-Morbid Mood Disorders, Phenomenology and Treatment of Comorbid Anxiety Disorder in Mood Disorders
Honors and Awards
- 2006 Recipient of American Psychiatric Association Research Colloquium for Junior Investigators
- 2008 John C. and Sally S. Morley Family Foundation Award
- 2015 American Psychiatric Association Fellowship Award
- Gao K., Gajwani P., Elhaj O. and Calabrese JR. Typical and Atypical Antipsychotics in Bipolar Depression. J Clin Psychiatry 2005; 66: 1376-1385
- Gao K, Muzina D, Gajwani P, Calabrese JR. Efficacy of typical and atypical antipsychotics for primary and comorbid anxiety symptoms or disorders: a review. J Clin Psychiatry 2006; 67:1327-1340.
- Gao K, Ganocy SJ, Gajwani P, Muzina DJ, Calabrese JR. A Review of Sensitivity and Tolerability of Antipsychotics in Patients with Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia: Focus on Somnolence. J Clin Psychiatry 2008; 69:302-309.
- Gao K, Verduin ML, Kemp DE, Tolliver B, Ganocy SJ, Elhaj O, Brady K, Findling RL, Calabrese JR. Clinical Correlates of Patients With Rapid-Cycling Bipolar Disorder and a Recent History of Substance Use Disorder: A Subtype Comparison From Baseline Data of 2 Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trials. J Clin Psychiatry 2008; 69(7):1057-63.
- Gao K, Kemp DE, Wang Z, Ganocy SJ, Conroy C, Serrano MB, Sajatovic M, Findling RL, Calabrese JR. Predictors of Non-Randomization during Open-Label Lithium and Divalproex Treatment in Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder: a Post-hoc Analysis of Two Studies. Psychopharmacology Bulletin, 2010, 43(1):23-38.
- Gao K, Wang Z, Chen J, Kemp DE, Chan PK, Conroy CM, Serrano MB, Ganocy SJ, Calabrese JR. Should an Assessment of Axis I Comorbidity be Included in the Initial Diagnostic Assessment of Mood Disorders? Role of QIDS-16-SR Total Score in Predicting Number of Axis I Comorbidity. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2013;148(2-3):256-64.
- Gao K, Wu R, Kemp DE, Chen J, Karberg E, Conroy C, Chan P, Ren M, Serrano MB, Ganocy SJ, Calabrese JR. Efficacy and Safety of Quetiapine-XR Monotherapy or Adjunctive Therapy to Mood Stabilizer in Acute Bipolar Depression with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Other Comorbidities: A Randomized, Placebo-controlled Trial. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 2014 Oct;75(10):1062-8.
- Gao K, Wu R, Wang Z, Ren M, Kemp DE, Chan PK, Conroy CM, Mary Beth Serrano MB, Ganocy SJ, Calabrese JR. Disagreement between Self-Reported and Clinician-Ascertained Suicidal Ideation and Its Correlation with Depression and Anxiety Severity in Patients with Major Depressive Disorder or Bipolar Disorder. J Psychiatric Research, 2015; 60:117-124.
- Gao K, Fang F, Wang Z, Calabrese JR. Subjective Versus Objective Weight Gain During Acute Treatment With Second-Generation Antipsychotics in Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2016 Dec;36(6):637-642. Review.
- Gao K, Ganocy SJ, Conroy C, Brownrigg B, Serrano MB, Calabrese JR. A placebo controlled study of quetiapine-XR in bipolar depression accompanied by generalized anxiety with and without a recent history of alcohol and cannabis use. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2017 Aug;234(15):2233-2244.
- Gao K, Su M, Sweet J, Calabrese JR. Correlation between depression/anxiety symptom severity and quality of life in patients with major depressive disorder or bipolar disorder. J Affect Disord. 2019 Feb 1;244:9-15.