Joseph R. Calabrese, MD
Improvement of Clinical Outcomes in Under-served Populations of Bipolar Disorder, Including Those with Rapid Cycling, Children and Adolescents, Adults Currently Abusing Alcohol and/or Drugs, Forensic Complications of Bipolar Disorder, Those Receiving Care within Community Mental Health Centers, Older Adults, and Members of the Ohio National Guard and Reserve.
Peer-Reviewed Papers (as of 10/2019)
- Has been cited by 14,216 times since 2014
- Total citations: 46,721
- 36 publications cited > 300 times as of 10/2019
- H-Index = 105
Honors and Awards
- 2018 University Hospitals Distinguished Physician Award
- 2013 Lifetime Achievement Award from the European Bipolar Forum, Awarded in Seville, Spain
- 2012 Ohio Psychiatric Physicians Association Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2012 European Bipolar Forum Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2008 Gerald L. Klerman Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2007 Awarded the Bipolar Disorders Research Chair
- 2004 NARSAD Lifetime Achievement Award
- Calabrese JR, Delucchi GA: Spectrum of efficacy of divalproex in 55 rapid-cycling manic depressives. Am J Psychiatry 1990;147(4):431-4.
- Calabrese JR, Bowden CL, Sachs GS, et al: A double-blind placebo-controlled study of lamotrigine monotherapy in outpatients with bipolar I depression. Lamictal 602 Study Group. J Clin Psychiatry 1999;60:79-88.
- Calabrese JR, Suppes T, Bowden CL, et al: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, prophylaxis study of lamotrigine in rapid cycling bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2000;61:841-50.
- Calabrese JR, Bowden CL, Sachs G, et al: A placebo-controlled 18-month trial of lamotrigine and lithium maintenance treatment in recently depressed patients with bipolar I disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2003;64:1013-1024.
- Calabrese JR, Hirschfeld RMA, Frye MA, et al: Impact of depressive symptoms compared with manic symptoms in bipolar disorder: Results of a U.S. community-based sample. J Clin Psychiatry 2004;65:1499-1504.
- Calabrese JR, Keck PE, Jr., Macfadden W, et al: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of quetiapine, in the treatment of bipolar I or II depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1351-1360.
- Calabrese JR, Shelton MD, Rapport DJ, et al: A 20-month, double-blind, maintenance trial of lithium vs. divalproex in rapid-cycling bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:2152-2161.
- Sachs GS, Nierenberg AA, Calabrese JR, et al: Effectiveness of adjunctive antidepressant treatment for bipolar depression: A double-blind placebo controlled study. N Engl Journal Med. 2007;356:1711-22.
- Kemp DE, Gao K, Ganocy SJ, Rapport DJ, Elhaj O, Bilali S, Conroy C, Findling RL, Calabrese JR: A 6-month, double-blind, maintenance trial of lithium monotherapy versus the combination of lithium and divalproex for rapid cycling bipolar disorder and co-occurring substance abuse or dependence. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009 Jan; 70(1):113-21.
- Wang Z, Gao K, Kemp DE, Chan PK, Serrano MB, Conroy C, Fang Y, Ganocy SJ, Findling RL, Calabrese JR: Lamotrigine adjunctive therapy to lithium and divalproex in depressed patients with rapid cycling bipolar disorder and recent substance use disorder: A 12-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Psychopharmacol Bull. 2010;43(4):5-21.
- Muzina DJ, Gao K, Kemp DE, Khalife S, Ganocy SJ, Chan PK, Serrano M, Conroy C, Calabrese JR: Acute efficacy of divalproex sodium versus placebo in mood stabilizer naïve bipolar I or II depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2011 June;72(6):813-819.
- Kemp DE, Ismail-Beigi F, Ganocy SJ, Conroy C, Gao K, Obral S, Fein E, Findling RL, Calabrese JR: Use of insulin sensitizers for the treatment of major depressive disorder: A pilot study of pioglitazone for major depression accompanied by abdominal obesity. J Affect Disord. 2012 Feb;136(3):1164-73.
- Nierenberg AA, Sylvia LG, Leon AC, Reilly-Harrington NA, Shesler LW, McElroy SL, Friedman ES, Thase ME, Shelton RC, Bowden C, Tohen M., Singh V, Deckersbach T, Ketter T, Kocsis JH, McInnis, MG, Schoenfeld D, Bobo WV, Calabrese JR for the Bipolar CHOICE Study Group. Clinical Health Outcomes Initiative in Comparative Effectiveness for Bipolar Disorder (Bipolar CHOICE): A Pragmatic Trial of Complex Treatments for a Complex Disorder. Clin Trials 2014 Febr;11(1):114-27.
- Calabrese JR, Keck PE Jr, Starace A, Lu K, Ruth A, Laszlovszky I, Németh G, Durgam S. Efficacy and safety of low- and high-dose cariprazine in acute and mixed mania associated with bipolar I disorder: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2015 Mar;76(3):284-92.
- Calabrese JR, Pikalov A, Streicher C, Cucchiara J, Mao Y, Loebel A: Lurasidone in combination with lithium or valproate for the maintenance treatment of bipolar 1 disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017 Sep;27(9):865-876.
- Calabrese JR, Sanchez R, Jin N, Amatniek J, Cox K, Johnson B, Perry PP, Hertel P, Such P, McQuade RD, Nyilas M, Carson WH: Efficacy and Safety of Aripiprazole Once-Monthly as Maintinance Treatment for Bipolar I Disorder: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized withdrawal study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017 Mar;78(3):324-331.
- Aftab A, Kemp DE, Ganocy SJ, Schinable M, Conroy C, Brownrigg B, D'Arcangelo N, Goto T, Woods N, Serroani BB, J Huigin, Calabrese JR, Gao K: Double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of pioglitazone for bipolar depression. J Affect Dis. 2019; 245:957-964.