Internal Medicine Interest Group
University Hospital sponsors the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Internal Medicine Interest Group (IMIG) and offers events which inform medical students about potential career options in Internal Medicine. Our events happen throughout the year and range from doctor panels, to academic conferences, to offering resident mentors, to shadowing on the hospital wards. While the majority of our events are geared to medical students in their first or second year our events are popular and informative at every level of medical school. Career decision-making guidance is provided through formal and informal interaction with residents, fellows, faculty members and program directors.Look for emails from the medical student IMIG leaders advertising the events throughout the year. We often serve food.
IMIG Student Group Leaders
Our Internal Medicine Interest Group is led by four Case medical students and Dr. Debra Leizman is the IMIG advisor. The IMIG leaders are selected in January of their 1st year of medical school and they are responsible for selecting their successors.
2019-2020 leadership, class of 2022
2018-2019 leadership, class of 2021
2018-2017 leadership, class of 2020
Sharon (Cherry) Jiang
- Grand Rounds, Morbidity and Mortality conference - students are always welcome to attend the Department of Medicine conferences. In particular Grand Rounds (Tuesday, noon, Kulas Auditorium, 5th floor Lakeside) and Morbidity and Mortality conference (Friday, noon, Kulas Auditorium). A Chief Resident will stay after each of these conferences to debrief pre-clinical medical students if present.
- Juggling a Career in Internal Medicine - Internal medicine specialists speak as a panel about different facets of medical training, career paths in internal medicine and how their careers interface with home life.
- Talking with Internal Medicine Program Director - Keith Armitage, MD, Internal Medicine Residency Director, reviews the basics of the residency application and career paths of an internist.
- Talking with Internal Medicine-Pediatrics Program Director - Nate Steheuwer, MD, Med-Peds Residency Director along with his Chief Resident and other med-peds residents discuss their specialty and how a career decision in med-peds is unique in its training and career possibilities.
- Conference Corresponding to Curriculum - Internal medicine fellows from different medical specialties discuss career choices and their daily work. This conference tries to match the medical student academic curriculum with specialists whose careers match the curricular topics.
- Med Mentors - Our Case medical student leaders meet with our Leadership in Medical Education track Internal Medicine residents and match second year medical students with Internal Medicine residents. We hope the residents serve as mentors and friends and guide their medical students with tips on how to function on the hospital wards, preferred order of clinical medical student rotations, career decision making and other relevant topics.
- Chairman Dinner - Case medical students and faculty members discuss internal medicine as a career in an informal setting over a lovely dinner. We invite 50 students and 25 attendings to this event which has been held at various locations around the campus (Thwing, College Club, Squire Farm, etc.).
- Shadowing - Students get a unique opportunity to shadow inpatient medicine teams on a Saturday during morning ward work rounds in February.
- Match Panel - Fourth-year Case Western Reserve University medical students who matched in Internal Medicine share their experiences in interviewing and choosing residency positions.