Visiting Hours & Services at UH Portage Medical Center
At University Hospitals Portage Medical Center, we make things as comfortable as possible for our patients, and their family and friends. We do this by providing a variety of visitor services, including flexible visiting hours, convenient parking, meal options, gift shop and more.
Please refer to our phone directory to contact specific departments within UH Portage Medical Center. If you are unsure which number to call, or if you have general questions, call our main line at 330-297-0811.
Meal and snack options at UH Portage include our cafeteria, with a wide selection of hot meals and grab-and-go options, and Perks, a gourmet coffee shop and deli.
Flexible Visiting Hours
University Hospitals Portage Medical Center encourages visits from friends and family for the patient's well-being. Visiting hours for various areas of the hospital are listed below. Visitation may need to be modified based on the patient's current condition. The nurses on each unit are responsible for facilitating safe, appropriate and convenient patient visitation. Contact patient information at 330-297-2448 for more information.
General Visiting Hours
11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
UH Portage Medical Center's standard visitation policy is that only two people may visit a patient at one time. After general visiting hours, all doors to the hospital will be locked. To re-enter the hospital, you must come through the main Emergency Department entrance and obtain a visitor pass from Police and Protective Services. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but it is for the safety of our patients and staff. Children under age 14 need permission of the nursing staff and must be accompanied by an adult.
Critical Care (ICU/CCU)
- Families and other visitors are welcome 24 hours a day, according to the patient’s wishes.
- We suggest no more than two visitors at a time Visitors may take turns coming in and out. Number of visitors may change at the request of the patient or nurse.
- Children 14 years and older may visit and must be accompanied by an adult. Please talk to a nurse before a child visits.
- No food or beverages permitted. Visiting hours may be delayed due to procedures, physician rounds and emergencies. Please let us know if you have questions about visiting.
Children's at UH Portage Medical Center (Pediatrics)
Parents and grandparents are welcome 24 hours a day.
Children under age 14 need permission from the nursing staff and must be accompanied by an adult.
Birth Center (Maternity)
Post Delivery General Visiting Hours: 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. for adults.
No visitors allowed during Nap Time from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
By patient request, two support persons are welcome during labor and for the birth. Children under age 14 need permission of the nursing staff and must be accompanied by an adult. Children under 12 months old are not permitted in the Birth Center for the health of the newborns.
- Please do not visit if you have any signs of illness such as fever, chills, sore throat, cough, runny nose, rash, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Call from home instead.
- Please wash your hands before and after visiting a patient.
- Please respect the privacy and feelings of other patients' family members who are in the family waiting rooms.
- Please be courteous to others by cleaning up after yourself as we share the family waiting rooms.
- Please check with the nurse before you take food or beverages into a patient's room.
- Please use public restrooms, because patient care bathrooms may have collection receptacles or personal items that are private to the patient.
- Respect the judgment of the doctor or nurse if you are asked to leave for any reason, which may include increased activity within the unit, a medical reason or care delivery.
- Please do not use cell phones or pagers while in patient care areas.
Gift Shop At UH Portage Medical Center
The University Hospitals Portage Medical Center Gift Shop, located in the Peter and Susan Cipriano Lobby on the first floor of the hospital, is staffed by volunteers and members of The Auxiliary of UH Portage Medical Center.
Proceeds from the Gift Shop benefit special projects of The Auxiliary of UH Portage Medical Center. Visa and MasterCard accepted. Purchases can be made in-person or via telephone by calling 330-297-2347.
Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Let the UH Portage Medical Center Gift Shop select a beautiful, fresh arrangement from our chilled storage case. A hospital volunteer will deliver the flowers to your special patient or to a staff member you wish to thank. Note: Fresh flowers cannot be accepted in ICU or CCU. However, we have many other gifts that can accompany your thoughtful message.
Refreshments are available to help you feel recharged and satisfied. Refreshments include candy, coffee and tea, soda, bagged snacks and assorted chocolates.
Gifts for Everyone
The Gift Shop offers a wide variety of items for every age group. We can also help you customize your gift and have it delivered free-of-charge to a patient or staff member. We can also present your gift in a white gift bag with tissue. You’ll find a wide selection of merchandise, including:
- Greeting cards
- Balloons and balloon arrangements
- Baby items
- Plush animals and toys
- Books and magazines
- Decorative figurines
- Holiday items
- Assorted gift boxes of individually wrapped chocolates
- Other fun and unique gifts
Baby and Children’s Items
The UH Portage Medical Center gift shop has a number of adorable baby and children's items for the little one in your life. We can also deliver a gift to the Birth Center at UH Portage Medical Center, wrapped in a white gift bag and tissue paper.
Accessories Jewelry and Accessories
The UH Portage Medical Center Gift Shop has a wide selection of jewelry and accessories that will have you looking glamorous for your next special event, dinner or work day, including scarves, clothing and purses.
The UH Portage Medical Center Gift Shop is a great destination for your holiday gifts and decorations. We offer:
- Kitchen accessories
- Centerpieces and other decorations
- Ceramic, glass and metal keepsakes
- Jewelry, pins and other accessories
Free Public Wi-Fi At UH Portage Medical Center
University Hospitals Portage Medical Center provides free Wi-Fi to all visitors and patients on the main hospital campus. You must have your own equipment (laptop, PDA, wireless card, software, etc.).
Please Note: UH Portage Medical Center is providing this service as a convenience for patients and visitors. Staff cannot assist in making changes to your device or network settings, or perform any troubleshooting on your device. As with any public wireless network, we strongly recommend guests take measures to secure their devices and Internet communications.
Pastoral Care for Spiritual Needs
University Hospitals Portage Medical Center is committed to total patient care, which includes attention to the spiritual, emotional and physical needs of each patient. Our chaplain and associate chaplains are available 24 hours a day to assist and nurture hope within the spiritual and religious traditions of our patients and families.
Office hours are from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. On-call chaplains can be contacted for emergent care through the hospital operator after hours and on holidays and weekends. To contact a chaplain, call 330-297-2445 or ext. 2445 from any hospital phone.
Personal clergy and spiritual/religious leaders are welcome and encouraged to visit their own members who are in the hospital.
Services provided by Pastoral Care include:
- Spiritual/pastoral care
- Spiritual assessment, intervention, comfort and nurturing
- Facilitation and support of the religious practices of all faiths
- Emotional support
- Non-judgmental listening
- Crisis intervention
- Collaboration with all members of the health care team
UH Portage Medical Center Chapel
The Portage Medical Center Chapel, located in the hospital main lobby, is open for prayer, meditation and reflection for people of all faiths.