Assisting Patients and Their Families in and Around Chardon, Ohio
The Ethics Committee at University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center, a campus of UH Regional Hospitals is a resource for assisting in ethical decision making and is dedicated to assisting patients, families and physicians who are faced with difficult decisions, including life and death choices. The committee is not limited to these functions but is continually seeking innovative ways to accomplish its purpose while adhering to hospital policies and directives.
Ethics Committee Membership at UH Geauga Medical Center
The Committee is currently co-chaired by William Ervine, DO, and Elizabeth Morrow, LISW-S, and is comprised of physicians, nurses, social workers, clergy, case management and social services who serve only as advisors to provide counseling and recommendations.
When Is It Appropriate To Request An Ethics Consult?
Situations appropriate for referral to the University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center Ethics Committee include, but are not exclusive to, the following circumstances when they involve medically related ethical issues:
- Conflicts regarding the ethical propriety of using life support systems or the removal of a patient from such systems
- Conflicts arising from following wishes expressed in a patient's advance directive for health care
- Conflicts arising when a non-responsive or medically incompetent patient has not provided advance directives
- Conflicts between a competent patient and/or family member and/or physicians and/or other hospital staff members
- Conflicts arising out of an apparent violation of a patient's right to accept or refuse any medical or surgical treatment
When problems arise concerning any of the above or similar situations, it is important that before being referred to the Ethics Committee sufficient communication has been attempted between the concerned person and the patient and/or family and the physician and/or other staff member(s) involved.
To consult the Ethics Committee, please contact either Dr. Ervine or Elizabeth Morrow through the UH Geauga Medical Center hospital operator at 440-285-6000.