Award Program Details
Up to 12 Harrington Scholar-Innovator awards will be made each year. The award includes:
- $100,000 guaranteed, opportunity to qualify for up to $700,000
- Drug development expertise and project management support through the Harrington Discovery Institute Innovation Support Center
The Harrington Discovery Institute and its Innovation Support Center team will work closely with the awardee and their affiliated institution to maximize the clinical and commercial potential of selected projects.
What We Fund
The Harrington Scholar-Innovator Award selection committee seeks breakthrough discovery defined by innovation, creativity, and potential clinical impact including:
- Discoveries deemed to address unmet medical needs
- Novel targets
- Potential to be developed into a commercial program
- Possess intellectual property (IP) or protection strategy
- May be either a small molecule, biologic, or other therapeutic modality
- Diagnostics or devices only acceptable as part of a therapeutic development project or if completely transformative
Applicant Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the award, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Hold an MD, MD/PhD
- Hold a faculty position at an accredited academic medical center, university or research institution in the US and conduct the majority of his/her research activities at that institution
- A project may have only a single PI who is responsible for project oversight and financial management. The PI may engage collaborators, core labs, or commercial CROs to execute any fraction of the project
- Past recipients of Harrington Scholar-Innovator awards may submit new and distinct proposals but may not seek additional support for previously funded projects
Application Submission and Selection Process
- New this year: LOIs are NOT being solicited.
Interested applicants are required to submit a Full Proposal by Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Midnight), Eastern Daylight Time.
- The Harrington Discovery Institute will select projects that:
- Represent the highest quality science
- Demonstrate a highly innovative approach
- Have the greatest clinical potential
- Address unmet needs
- Up to 12 Harrington Scholar-Innovators will be selected and announced in December.
Submissions will be completed online at http://HarringtonDiscovery.SmartSimple.com.
Late submissions will not be accepted for any reason other than issues with the Harrington Discovery Institute’s submission system. Proposals received by Harrington Discovery Institute after the deadline will not be reviewed
Questions should be directed to HDIQuestions@HarringtonDiscovery.org.